SkyHawk Swimmers Face Difficulty at Elkhorn Varsity Invitational

Girls finish 4th out of 11 and boys 7th out of 11th

Photo by Michael Fenner
Ryan Chapman swimming his event

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Skutt Catholic faced a difficult challenge heading into Elkhorn last Saturday due to facing 10 other quality teams. They had to defeat teams like Creighton Prep, Elkhorn, and Pius X to come out on top. The SkyHawks couldn’t do this as Creighton Prep scored the most on the boys side with 554 points, Elkhorn finished 2nd with 407 points, and Pius X placed 3rd with 402 points. The girls fared a little better than the boys, finishing just outside the top three, scoring 213 points

One of the top girl swimmers for Skutt Catholic was sophomore Maggie Kramer. In the 200 freestyle, she placed 7th out of more than 50 people with a time of 2:05:08. In the 500 freestyle, she finished 8th out of more than 50 people with a time of 5:30:64. The girls relay team also did fairly well as well. The team placed 7th out of 20th with a time of 3:54.55 in the 400 freestyle relay. The 200 medley relay team had a 6th place finish, with a time of 1:58:23. Some other top finishers for the SkyHawk girl swimmers was Rachel Weland, time of 57:21 in the 100 freestyle, and Mackenzie Moode, time of 58.27.

One of the more successful Skutt Catholic swimmers on the boys team was sophomore John Kramer. In the 200 freestyle, Kramer placed 12th with a time of 1:57:77. He followed up with an even better finish in the 500 freestyle. His time was 5:17:74 and placed 9th out of 24 athletes. Another top finisher for the SkyHawks was junior Eric Melrose. In the 100 breath-stoke, he finished 16th out of 29 athletes with a time of 1:10:78. However, the relay teams couldn’t replicate Kramer’s success as they finished 14 out of 15 in the 200 medley and 12th out of 16th in the 400 freestyle relay. “I was happy with my personal success, but our team didn’t have the success I wanted,” Kramer said.

The performance at Elkhorn wasn’t the best for the SkyHawks, and they will look to rebound in RCC on Feb. 9. The team has the chance to get a lot of swimmers to state and have one of the most successful swimming seasons in a long time. Skutt Catholic will look to dominate RCC at Ralston in order to bring home some hardware and build momentum for state.

“I’m looking forward to RCC, and I think we will have a lot of success at RCC,” said head coach Adam Moon. “I think we can get a lot of people into state, and our swimmers will break a lot of personal records,” Moon continued.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]