Skutt Catholic Launches Planning Study

Skutt Catholic Admin unveils their long term plans for the expansion of the school

A+student+in+the+media+center+looking+at+the+released+planning+study%27s+layout.+
A student in the media center looking at the released planning study's layout.

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

After years of limited art room space and a less than great joint choir and band room, Skutt Catholic is looking to expand. The high school announced their hopes for the future design of the school in a recent letter sent home to parents of current SkyHawks. They also placed a virtual picture of what the new arts facility would look like, expanded on to the now 25 year old building, amidst the SkyHawk Student Center.

“Right now we are in the planning study before we will begin the Capitol Campaign,” said Skutt Catholic President Mr Jeremy Moore. “The board will either decide to move forward with a campaign or not from gauging potential donors’ interests.”

At this point in the planning study, many of those in the SkyHawk community have been surveyed as to what they would like to see improved in the school. The highest interest was in renovating old classrooms and adding in new ones. If the campaign does launch, this is where Skutt Catholic will look to first begin renovations. “If funding can happen by August of 2019, we can have the majority of it finished,” Moore said.

The long term plan includes a new building of classrooms specifically for the arts in the building. A journalism room, two art rooms (with a garage separating the two), and a choir room that would be included in this new addition. If the campaign is successful, administration hopes to make the now art rooms into new science labs, modeled after those at Creighton University.

As for the theatre community at Skutt Catholic, they need not set their hopes too high as an auditorium will not likely be built soon. Although a part of the campaign does include plans for construction, a very generous donor is needed to start the process; even with the money, it would take many years to build the new theatre venue.

The goal of the overall planning study, and hopefully campaign, is to “Improve school environment with long term goals of reaching into a performing arts center.”

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]