Super Bowl Preview

Getting ready for the big game

Super Bowl Preview

The Patriots are looking to put down the red hot Eagles

Photo by Andrew Mize

Photo by Andrew Mize

Photo by Andrew Mize

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Whether it’s the game or the commercials, the Super Bowl is the game to watch. The outstanding play, the halftime performance,and the giant table of food are all great reasons to watch the game, whether you are a sports fan or not. The stage is set for the New England Patriots to face the Philadelphia Eagles next Sunday to be crowned the kings of the NFL in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Patriots are coming into their 5th Super Bowl in the past 10 years. Led by Bill Belichick, the Patriot empire has ruled over the NFL for the past decade. Besides the great coaching, this dynasty has been built by one man: Tom Brady. His aerial presence is second to none and he is a nightmare for opponents to defend against him. “I think the fact that Tom Brady is yet again in the Super Bowl says enough,” said junior Patriots fan, PJ Slattery. Tom Brady turns nobody’s into Pro Bowlers, including former lacrosse player, Chris Hogan. The Patriots took a relatively easy path to get to the Super Bowl beating the Titans, despite the comeback win against the Jaguars in the conference championship game. So easy, in fact, that is the easiest Super Bowl path in the NFL since 1990.

Their opponent is the Philadelphia Eagles, who took the league by storm this year. Carson Wentz, the standout quarterback from North Dakota State, had a spectacular sophomore season and was in the MVP race at one point, but in Week 14, he tore his ACL against the Los Angeles Rams. Wentz’s injury seemed like a crushing blow to the Eagles’ Super Bowl chances. Although, his replacement, Nick Foles, has been stupendous in the playoffs, especially against the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC championship game, and is looking for his first super bowl in his veteran career and the first Super Bowl for the Eagles in their 85 year history. “It was another heartbreak at the NFC championships for the Vikings, and I hope the Patriot dynasty ends this year,” said junior Vikings fan, Maria LaSala. Despite being the number one seed in the NFC, Philadelphia are coming into the game being the underdogs, trying to take down the ‘football giants’ that are the Patriots. The Eagles have had many obstacles to get to a Minnesota, but they finally made it.

Both teams have fought long and hard to be able to get to the most prestigious game in all of football. This game will be an instant classic with Tom Brady looking for his sixth Super Bowl victory against the journeyman backup, Nick Foles, and the Eagles looking to bring some hardware back to the city of brotherly love. They both are shooting for the stars and will be playing their hearts out next Sunday. No matter which team it will be, one team will be going to a Disneyland in the near future.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]