Gym Gets Makeover for Catholic Schools Week Mass

New decorations embellish the main gym for mass celebration

A+student+receiving+the+Eucharist+

A student receiving the Eucharist

A student receiving the Eucharist

Photo by Ally Stodola

A student receiving the Eucharist

Photo by Ally Stodola

Photo by Ally Stodola

A student receiving the Eucharist

Emma Brisbois, Birdfeed Editor

Jan. 31, 2018 — Catholic Schools Week is a beloved tradition at Skutt Catholic, and this year the mass celebration had a bit of a twist.

Every year at the Catholic Schools Week mass, students from various activities, clubs, and sports are invited to place an item that represents their team near the altar. In honor of Catholic Schools Week, Campus Ministry members and assorted homeroom representatives, with the help of Ms. Christine French and Fr. Patrick Harrison, worked to adorn the gym for this special mass.

The gym was decorated with black pipe and drape, the altar was raised on a platform and even included a projection of a cathedral wall on a screen behind the altar, giving the gym a church-like atmosphere. A lot of preparation went into the mass; details as small as tiny, electric tea candles lit up the bleachers.

Many other things at mass were also taken to a special level. The music ministry included the regular choir, but also cello instrumentals from Mikey Figura, violin from Caroline Hilgert, and flute accompaniment by Molly Kramer. The homily from Fr. Harrison also included a clip from “None to Nun”, a short video about a girl who found faith after the Columbine shooting. This tied into the mass’ message about appreciating your faith and finding God in one’s life.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]