Varsity Basketball Victorious Over Glenwood

Skutt Catholic defeats Glenwood 67-58.

Point Guard Tyson (10) and Senior Jackson Gordon (5) make their way down the court.

Photo by Jack McGonigal

Photo by Jack McGonigal

Photo by Jack McGonigal

Jack McGonigal, Staff Reporter

It was the first Friday Night home game in a while for the boys as they put it all out there against the Glenwood Rams. The SkyHawks were coming into the game with a lot of momentum on their sides from the get-go. The girls’ team defeated RCC Rival Beatrice just before, it was “free t-shirt night” to the first 100 students to walk in the door, and you couldn’t spot a seat that was not filled by tip-off.

As play began, Senior guard Nate Mohr for Glenwood hit a couple of jumpers to put themselves in front early. Not long after that, Skutt Cathoic jumped out to its first lead of the game at 20-17 after the first quarter.

Senior Forward Austin Ash and Sophomore Point Guard Tyson Gordon fueled the fire in the scoring column with 21 and 18 on the night for the home team. As the game went on, the spread stayed consistent but the noise level grew, especially from the Skutt Catholic students.

However, late in the second half, Christian Stanislav and Andrew Blum and his Rams rallied on a 9-1 run scoring run, and the lead by 2 heading into the locker room. “We struggled on figuring out who was guarding who because we knew they were going to shoot a lot and it was tough to stick with the guard play.” Senior Guard Jackson Gordon said.

As the second half began, the SkyHawks buckled down defensively as they only allowed Glenwood to take a limited and contested number of shots. Glenwood went cold in the third quarter, only hitting two shots the entire quarter. Sophomore Andrew Merfeld played a tremendous role on the defensive side of the ball, knocking down several inbounds passes that resulted in turnovers.

Skutt Catholic extended their lead, but Glenwood kept themselves in the game only trailing by 2 with 25 seconds to play in the third quarter. At this point in the game, the crowd was going bonkers. “We had great energy and used the crowd to fuel us, and the bench was very energetic.” Junior Guard Jake Kudron said.

Going into the fourth quarter, Skutt Catholic led 46-44 and had all the momentum. The hostile environment became a deadly problem that the Rams could not walk away from. The Skyhawks took many trips to the free throw line going 11-14, and that would eventually seal the deal. Skutt Catholic battled their way into a 67-58 win.  

“Coming up for us is Bishop Heelan on Tuesday, then our senior night vs. Gretna. Those are both big games, and I’m looking forward to working hard, and potentially get the chance to play at the State Tournament. Lincoln is an environment we wanna be in when March rolls around.” Gordon continued.

With this victory, Skutt Catholic improves to 14-3 on the season. The SkyHawks seek another state title and the second one under Coach Jurgens.

Maria Miller - Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in slam poetry at Skutt Catholic and spends time with her beloved mule, Shoelace, outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]