Guest Speaker Kicks Off Catholic Schools Week

Danny Leger shares Hope of the Poor’s Mission through music

Danny Leger and his band perform a song while students file into the gym

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Maddie Mollner, Student Life Editor

Jan. 29, 2018 — Danny Leger, Scott Watts and Tom Theis visited Skutt Catholic this morning in hopes of spreading the mission of Hope of the Poor, an organization set in Nebraska, Alaska, and Mexico City. Skutt Catholic hosted Leger’s music-centric presentation as a kickoff for Catholic Schools Week.

Photo by Tom Hermanek
Students, teachers and staff listen to Leger’s music

Along with providing a mini-concert to the audience of students, Leger shared some of his own experience in Hope of the Poor. He has traveled to all three of the organization’s mission sites and shared his musical talent with the poor and homeless of those communities.

“We are missionaries who want to radically live out the gospel, following the example of Mother Teresa and bring the light of Jesus to the darkest places,” Leger said. “We go there to love and serve, but our main mission is to hang out with Jesus, because he’s there in the least of these,” Leger continued.

Photo by Tom Hermanek
Student volunteers stand in front of the audience doing motions to a song

Leger and his band share Hope of the Poor’s mission physically on-site, as well as spiritually, away from the actual people that they’re sent to help. “The other side of our ministry is bringing the mission field back here to people so they can evangelize,” said Leger. Physically traveling to one of these sites is not feasible for most, but many can make a significant difference by donating to the mission through Hope of the Poor’s website.

Along with the guest performers, students had “Pajama Day” and Krispy Kreme donuts were handed out by the administration as students entered the school doors. As Skutt Catholic continues celebrating Catholic Schools Week, many students remember that there is something deeper that comes with identifying as Catholic. Leger concluded, “Catholic Schools are a mission field. We are the ones in poverty, and the poor are Jesus.”

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]