March For Life Experience

The pilgrimage that has forever changed how I approach loving others.

March+for+Life+protesters+from+the+Archdiocese+of+Omaha+

March For Life Experience

March for Life protesters from the Archdiocese of Omaha

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

Last Tuesday, January 15 — 85 students and I left for the March For Life (a pro-life peaceful protest) in Washington, DC. This would be my third year in attendance so I knew what lay ahead, but my passion grew further for the promotion of life in our country.

After a mass at St. Wenceslaus Church, two chartered buses loaded the 86 of us, and many adult chaperones, onto save the sanctity of life. To most people, the journey sounds next to awful because we are basically trapped inside of a bus for a good 18 hours, but the trip is so much more than these seemingly unpleasant conditions. We pray, talk with friends, meet new people, and learn SO much about how much work there is yet to do to achieve new levels of love in society.

The entirety of the March is centered around the theme of prayer and sacrifice. Like any pilgrimage, sacrifice is key. It is giving yourself to truly embrace the message of why we were going to the March. For example, not having an adequate space to sleep or feeling slightly grimy from sitting on a bus for so long. But these factors reveals that every student on this journey was fighting for a cause that was deserving of a little discomfort.

When we arrived in Washington, DC we had a full day of touring, praying, and learning ahead. We began each day with a mass led by a different priest at various beautiful churches in the area. Before the day of the March For Life, the largest human rights demonstration in the world was perhaps the most impactful on our group as a whole. We prayed outside of a local Planned Parenthood, adjacent to an elementary school. We prayed for close to an hour and gained incredible witness to seeing the corruption of abortion.

Seeing planned parenthood’s sidewalk counselors try to block us from view was a really difficult thing to watch. All I could think was here we are, praying and loving every single one of these women, yet these clinic workers are refusing the prayers and truth to that which they are helping. It made me very sad but also encouraged me so much to never stop praying for any of those women.

On the Friday of the actual March itself, we attended a mass held in the Capitol One Arena that fit over 18,000 Catholics who would later be marching on our Nation’s Capital. The mass was by far my favorite part of the entire trip. It combined languages from around the world, testimony to the horrific tragedy of abortion and the blessed sacrament.

Then, as we made our way to the March itself, we were greeted by thousands of other peaceful protestors. Screaming cheers like “Hey hey, ho ho, Roe v. Wade has got to go!” and being decked out in neon yellow hats made the March not only fun but an incredible way to live out what we all believe in.

Looking back on it all, the only true problem that exists at the March For Life comes from outside of us protesters; it is the lack of media coverage. But the pro-life movement still carries on without the help of the press, this uphill battle we are fighting is starting to see the other side, as long as we continue to march together.  

To say the least, this journey was one that taught me more about love than I had previously experienced. The state of abortion being so popular and so legal is saddening, but I learned that love is the answer to every issue, ever. The theme of this year’s March For Life was “love saves lives.”

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]