SkyHawks Boys Basketball Captures 2018 RCC Title

Skutt Catholic defeats Roncalli 61-45 to win the RCC final

Boys+basketball+celebrating+their+tournament+win+

Boys basketball celebrating their tournament win

Photo by Skutt Catholic basketball twitter

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

After a 63-30 win against Gross on January 12, Skutt Catholic focused on the RCC tournament, starting January 16. The team had to win the first two games to reach the finals and another win to be conference champions. The SkyHawks achieved their goal of winning RCC through dominating victories, suffocating defense, and lights out shooting.

The first opponent for Skutt Catholic was the Ralston Rams. The SkyHawks dominated the first half as they outscored Ralston 24-11 in the first quarter and 23-13 in the second quarter. Skutt Catholic held a 23 point lead at the half and never relinquished it, as they defeated the Rams 72-44. The SkyHawks had many contributors in this game, junior Jake Kudron had a game-high 15 points, and senior Jackson Gordon scored 10 points. Senior Austin Ash also pitched in 9 points.

In the semifinals, Skutt Catholic matched up with Elkhorn Mount Michael. Elkhorn Mount Michael strong first quarter gave them an 18-14 led going into the second quarter and maintained a 28-26 halftime lead. The SkyHawks would battle back in the third quarter and claimed a 40-36 lead heading into the final quarter of play. Skutt Catholic finally put Elkhorn Mount Michael away and controlled the 4th quarter, outscoring them 19-10. The final score of the game was a SkyHawks 59-4 victory.

Senior TJ Skradski was a catalyst for the SkyHawks, with a team-high 16 points. Sophomore Tyson Gordon scored 13 points, and senior Austin Ash contributed with 10 points. “Our team had to battle to get the lead back, and it took a lot of toughness to come out on top,” said senior Jackson Gordon. “But we knew we had one more game to win to become RCC champions,” Gordon continued.

The team standing in the way of a conference championship for Skutt Catholic was Roncalli. The SkyHawks shutdown Roncalli’s offense in the first quarter, holding them to a meager seven points. The offense came alive during this quarter as well, scoring 18 points. Skutt Catholic took a commanding 18-7 lead in the first quarter. Roncalli played the SkyHawks even after the quarter, but could not overcome their first-half deficit. Skutt Catholic won 61-45 and won RCC. Seniors Jackson Gordon’s 14 points and Austin Ash’s 15 points led the way for a SkyHawks victory

Skutt Catholic achieved their goal of winning RCC with an impressive three games and will bring hardware to Omaha. While they are happy with their performance, the SkyHawks will strive for more success through the state playoffs. Skutt Catholic has now won 10 of their last 11 and puts their four-game winning streak on the line against Lincoln Pius January 23. With a 13-3 record and a 5-2 district record, the SkyHawks look like a force to be reckoned with.

“When our team plays with energy and passion we are at our best, said head coach Kyle Jurgens. “I thought it stuck out throughout the week how invested our guys were and anytime you win our conference tournament it is usually an indication that you can beat anyone on any given night,” Jurgens continued.

Maria Miller - Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in slam poetry at Skutt Catholic and spends time with her beloved mule, Shoelace, outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]