“The Crown” Season Two Reigns Supreme

Series’ second installment proves to be better than the first

Queen+Elizabeth+II%2C+played+by+Claire+Foy%2C+and+her+husband%2C+played+by+Matt+Smith+
Queen Elizabeth II, played by Claire Foy, and her husband, played by Matt Smith

Photo by popsugar.com

Photo by popsugar.com

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

After a year long hiatus, Netflix’s The Crown debuted a second season of the historically based series. This season’s impeccable cinematography, plot line and impressive cast make The Crown a ravishing drama; but it still possesses some faults.

From the extravagant set to regal costumes, The Crown portrays the story of Queen Elizabeth II; the ten episode series begins where the previous season left off with Queen Elizabeth’s unsteady relationship with her husband. After working through those issues, the series follows the events of her reign through scandals, bold political moves and dangerous rivalries.

The cinematography of this season is what struck me at first. Every minute of every episode is full of camera angles that feel effortless and natural, which makes the viewing experience more inclusive for the audience. Along with an organic feel, the cinematography has a simplicity that allows the story to speak for itself, rather than trying to force the series to be something it isn’t.

While the cinematography speaks for itself, a new addition of flashbacks confuses the audience. In the previous season, the use of flashbacks was almost nonexistent, but they seem to make an appearance in almost every episode of the second installment. When used properly, flashbacks can aid in plot and character development; however, these often don’t make sense until the end of the episode, which leaves viewers unable to comprehend the majority of what just happened.

However, the overall execution of the plot saves the season. Each episode focuses on a different time period of Queen Elizabeth’s reign with different characters introduced and only one remaining constant, the royal family. This style allows the plot to become unpredictable and intriguing due to the uniqueness of every episode.

While overall the plot is astounding, some of the minor plot lines struggle to come to a conclusion. Throughout the episodes, new relationships develop between major characters, but after this relationship is introduced, it oftentimes won’t make a reappearance for multiple episodes, which leaves the audience with questions and a feeling of loss.

With both its positives and negatives, the cast is really what sets this drama apart from the others. The acting never feels forced or unnatural; rather, it appears as though each actor has become the embodiment of their character. From major monologues to seemingly minuscule body language, the cast flawlessly portrays their characters.

Overall, The Crown’s cast, plot and cinematography make it a historical drama that you won’t want to miss.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]