Southern California Wildfire Effects Reach Skutt Catholic

California forest fires wreak havoic across cities

Fires in California

Fires in California

Photo by Gene Blevins (Public Domain)

Photo by Gene Blevins (Public Domain)

Fires in California

Emma Brisbois, Birdfeed Editor

As of Dec. 4, 2017, wildfires have been raging across southern California; Areas from Ventura and Santa Barbara all the way to San Diego have been engulfed in flames as of the beginning of the month. People from the afflicted areas have been forced to evacuate their homes and leave everything behind, all in hopes that the fire would be extinguished as soon as possible.

Even if something’s not on fire, everyone is suffering.”

— Mrs. Sherri Hoye

As of Dec. 12, 2017, the Thomas wildfire is the largest of the year and is still growing throughout Ventura county. The fire has engulfed 234,200 acres of land, and still continues to spread. “I have former students that live there, former colleagues and friends living there, my husband’s coworkers are all still there,” said Skutt Catholic English teacher, Mrs. Sherri Hoye. “I know most of them have evacuated… and the school I taught at was completely evacuated… and then they ended up calling off school for the rest of the calendar year,” Hoye said. Wildfires are extremely common in cal

“There was one time when a fire broke out when we lived there [Ventura],” said Hoye. “You have the ocean, then you have the highway, and then you have these very steep hills. And one time, I was driving to school and a whole hill was on fire. I literally drove through flames,” Hoye said. Wildfires are common in California. Entire cities, towns, and landscapes are burnt to ash almost year-round, and many citizens are forced to just drop everything. Even after fires are contained, its effects can continue.

“When the fires are out and you go around to see everything, all that’s left is chimneys. That’s all that’s left: brick chimneys,” Hoye said. Wildfires are leaving people  homeless, leaving pets out on the streets, and causing complete destruction to some populated areas. So far, in the Thomas fire, only one civilian has been killed. ““Everyone knows someone who lost everything,” said Jane Cotti, teacher at Villanova Preparatory School in Ojai. 

The Red Cross, firefighters from the various counties and all of the first responders have been doing everything that they can to help those affected by the fires. Donations to these organizations are needed and can go towards helping those left with nothing. “It’s very expensive to live in California…” Hoye said. “To have extra money laying around to go get a hotel… that’s really hard on people,” Hoye said. 

First responders and firefighters will continue to be needed until these fires are contained. Until then, the hope is that these fires will be put out soon.

Emma Brisbois - Birdfeed Editor

Emma became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school she enjoys going to concerts. You can email her at [email protected]