The New Face of Skutt Catholic Work Study

Lavar Smith is a welcome face around school

New work study supervisor Lavar Smith

New work study supervisor Lavar Smith

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

New work study supervisor Lavar Smith

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

After a long day of work, Work Study Supervisor Lavar Smith arrives at Skutt Catholic, ready to get students cleaning Skutt Catholic’s interior. Making sure they are performing their duties correctly, Smith takes pride in his newfound success as the school’s new work study leader.

With a few months’ experience under his belt, Smith has gotten to know some of the student body through Skutt Catholic’s work study program. While working with the students, he gets to know them by memorizing their work study jobs and faces. “I like interacting with the kids,” Smith said.

Interacting with the kids sure seems to pay off. “He’s the best work study supervisor we’ve ever had,” junior Evan Cannon said. Junior Marleese Peters echoed Cannon’s sentiments. “I feel like we get a lot more done with Lavar as our supervisor,” Peters said.

Although he seems like a natural, Smith has never worked in this position before. “I’ve never worked a job like this before,” Smith explained. “At first, I thought it would be difficult working with so many kids, but I tried pushing myself; so far, I’m liking it,” Smith continued. There are some initial difficulties that come with the job, but they will work themselves out with time. “It’s a good experience; I’m learning stuff from the students and it gives me something to do,” Smith said.

Smith describes himself as a family person, with a wife and four kids. “I enjoy spending time with my kids and wife at home,” Smith said. He likes watching football and basketball on the television set at home, as well as going fishing with his kids. “Usually, I go to the movie theatre and eat popcorn with my sons,” Smith explained. While at home, he likes playing video games and spending time with his wife. “I like playing our Xbox 1. We usually play basketball games,” Smith said. “I also like going on the occasional dinner date with my wife, because I value the time we have alone together,” Smith explained.

While running Skutt Catholic’s work study program, Smith also has a side job as an auto mechanic, restoring old cars and selling them for a profit. “I enjoy fixing cars and seeing what kinds of cars roll in everyday,” Smith explained. It takes him about a week to take out everything what’s wrong with a car, replace the parts, and put it back together again. However, he plans to move on to become a full-time repairman, eventually opening up his own shop.

From one job to another, Smith has shown his willingness to work hard at everything he does. He has made lasting impressions on everyone he has met through his two jobs. The face of Skutt Catholic’s work study program is a bright one, with a bright future in store.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “The New Face of Skutt Catholic Work Study”

1. Mr. E on December 13th, 2017 6:01 pm

This is great feature writing

• The New Face of Skutt Catholic Work Study

Sports

Four Teams Remain In the Race for the Crown

Whisk and Measure Delivers A-Latte

Mini Mansions Releases Diverse EP That Works Every Time

Anna Johnson Recognized as Runza Student of the Week

Fall

SkyHawks Cruise Past Cougars to Remain Undefeated

Mrs. Cronican: Llama Owner and Math Extraordinaire

“Twenty One Pilots” are Back With Refreshing New Album “Trench”

Homecoming Week Offers Students Exciting Opportunities

Media

HomeTown Horrors Episode 5: Spooky Month Edition

Trump Agrees to FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh; Senate Vote Imminent