Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

How I used bowl games to bond with my dad

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Every year, there are college football bowl games featuring teams from different conferences and across the country. This year, there are 41 bowl games. In the Capital One Bowl Mania challenge, players pick the winners and select how much points they want to wager on each game based on confidence. For example, if players have the most confidence in Alabama beating Clemson, then they put 40 points on that game. If Clemson wins, then the player loses 40 points. This bowl challenge gave me and my dad something to talk about and helped me form a bond with him.

My dad and I started when I was 8 years old. I had no clue what I was doing, but through some miracle, I earned 2nd place in the group I was in. Ever since then, my dad and I have picked bowl games every year.

After my dad and I make our selections, we put them in our computer and check the points as the bowl games continue. My aunt also joins us in the bowl challenge; though my dad usually picks and selects the points for her. That has been routinely frustrating for my dad and I. She has won the last two years and has a tendency to rub it in our faces.

Every year, my dad and I botch the maligned Hawaii Bowl. We always put one point for that game because no matter what logic we put into our selection, we always get it wrong. We joke that if one of us picks the game correctly, then that person should win the challenge automatically.

At the beginning of the bowl games, my dad and I watch most of them together to check out how our picks are doing. We tend to do well at the beginning, usually winning 11 out of the first 15 games. But after that, our luck is exhausted; we lose most of the games and a lot of points quickly. That is usually when my aunt surges ahead with major upsets that crush us by the time all the bowl games are completed. The end result of the challenge is frustrating, but I love being able to spend time with my dad watching the games.

This challenge impacts my life in different ways. It is fascinating watching players that I normally wouldn’t see making spectacular and jaw dropping plays. I also enjoy just sitting down and watching these games because it calms me down during the chaotic Christmas season. Without the bowl games, then the Christmas season would not feel the same and they remind me that it is a time to be joyful.

Bowl season is one of my favorite times of the year, not because there is a lot of football being played, but because I get to spend time with my father watching the games and being mutually frustrated by my all-too-fortunate aunt.

I look forward to it every year; it gives me time to spend with my father that I normally wouldn’t have. If you plan on spending Christmas break watching a lot of football, ask a family member or friend to watch with you because the games are so much more enjoyable that way.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge”

1. Don Davis on December 22nd, 2017 3:49 pm

How many years has the Capital One Bowl Mania existed?

[Reply]

Flightline Staff

Flightline Staff Reply:

It began in 2016

[Reply]

• Student Life

Izabela Lackova: From Slovakia to Omaha

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

9 Pictures Guaranteed to Instigate a Sloth Obsession

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

Movies Start to Ignore Premiere Times

• BirdFeed

8 High School Hacks

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

Senior Places Second at Barista Championship

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

Quintessence

Quintessence: The Pulse Issue

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

Timber Creek: Creating Pizza that Pleases

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

“Avengers: Infinity War” Is Entirely Average

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

Who is your SCHS Flightline Newspaper Bae?

• Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge

“Bible of Love” Meshes Genres

Capital One Bowl Mania Challenge