Let the Bowl Games Begin

As the regular season of college football ends, the postseason is upon us

Let the Bowl Games Begin

Photo by The Seattle Times

Photo by The Seattle Times

Photo by The Seattle Times

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Throughout the year, many people anticipate the Christmas season with visions of opening presents and gorging on holiday food. But another positive aspect of the season is all the college football bowl games that are occurring. From the Dollar General Bowl to the “Granddaddy of Them All”, there is a game for everyone.

Every year since 2014, the College Football Committee gets together to decide the top four teams in the nation. Based on their picks, these teams are put into a bracket and play in the College Football Playoff to decide which team will be the national champion. This year, the Committee chose these four teams: Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Alabama. Football fans were surprised that Alabama was number four because they lost to Auburn in the Iron Bowl, which cost them the chance to compete for their conference championship. This contradicts what Nick Saban, the head coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide, said last year,”You should have to win your conference to be in the College a Football Playoff.” “I do not believe Alabama should be in the playoff personally because they did not win their conference. How can a team not be in their conference championship, yet in the playoff,” said junior Cole Mingo. These matchups should be very exciting and are played on New Year’s Day to set up the national title game on January 8th.

“How can a team not be in the conference championship, yet in the playoff?””

— Cole Mingo

Another notable matchup is #7 Auburn vs undefeated UCF, the University of Central Florida, in the Peach Bowl, which is a very prestigious game. The Auburn Tigers come off a tough loss against Georgia in the SEC championship game, but also their win against Alabama solidified their season. UCF’s season has been nothing short of amazing. Two years prior, the UCF Knights went 0-12 with one of the most embarrassing records in college football. Then, they hired Scott Frost, a former Nebraska quarterback and native to the Cornhusker state, an up and coming coordinator from Oregon. Fast forward to today, the Knights are undefeated with a record of 12-0 and are playing for perfection. After the Knights conference championship victory, Scott Frost officially became the head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. “This is Nebraska’s best chance at becoming nationally relevant in football again. We have an exciting young coach, who I think will do very well,” said junior Josh Gromowsky.

College football is full of ups and downs. Heartbreak for one fan is jubilation for the next. But no matter how your team fared this season, there is no better time to watch college football Bowl games in the most wonderful time of the year.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]