As Technology Expands, So Should Class Options

As the world moves on, we should keep up with it

Students use technology daily for schoolwork

Photo by Sam Klemme

Photo by Sam Klemme

Photo by Sam Klemme

Sam Klemme, Entertainment Editor

As time moves on, the use of technology has become more and more important. According to devex.com, about 50% of jobs make use of technology and that percent is said to rise to 77% within the next decade. In order to keep up with this changing climate, Skutt Catholic should require more of an emphasis on technology.

At Skutt Catholic, it is required that every student takes at least one technology credit. This can be taken through various classes such as computer programming, microcomputer applications, digital imaging, etc. These classes can help, but only one is required. If someone does digital imaging they could miss out on the basics of creating a spreadsheet.

Students and Faculty should also investigate adding career-based technology curriculum. CAD, Computer Aided Design, is a good example of this. It can help anyone who is looking at a career in architecture. The class has students using AutoCAD, which is a major tool in most architecture jobs. Other jobs that are on the rise should be supported as well. Jobs in graphic design have become increasingly necessary in advertising, but the closest classes Skutt Catholic has to incorporating graphic design are probably Yearbook or Newspaper.

There is a need for more comprehensive classes in technology. For example,  a class after microcomputer applications that teaches the more advanced use of computers. Knowing the basics is nice, but if we have the option to go more in-depth, I think we should take every chance we get.

Something nice about going to Skutt Catholic is our use of iPads. It gives us a basic knowledge of specific technology, but we only really learn how to use it in a school environment. I’m sure there are certain jobs that make use of tablets as a way to complete work.

Becoming more knowledgeable of technology would be a step in the right direction. As everything around us starts to evolve, we should start to take measures to help us move with it.

Sam Klemme

Sam joined the Flightline in January of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in choir, theater and cross country. Outside of school, he sings to himself and sits in his basement. You can email him at [email protected]