Life-Changing Music

A three day trip of singing in All-State

The choir rehearsing for one last time before the concert

Photo by Twitter: @Mr_C_Storm

Photo by Twitter: @Mr_C_Storm

Sam Klemme, Entertainment Editor

All-state music is considered one of the highest honors in the state for a musician. I was given the chance to sing with the choir and I won’t soon forget it.

I chose to audition because it’s a great opportunity to be a better musician, and I also had a bit of motivation from a friend. The day we learned the participants, everyone who had chosen to audition met down in the choir room during the announcement period and we were told who made it; I couldn’t believe what I heard. Every minute spent singing in my room, one of the practice rooms at Skutt Catholic, or just back and forth from school. After this, I couldn’t stop counting the days until we left for Lincoln.

On the first day, when we had gotten there and (at least for the choir kids) we didn’t have much to do, so we were given the time to walk around Lincoln and take in the sights. Someone had the idea of going to the top of the Capitol building and the view was breathtaking. We could see the bustling city from one side and a quiet sprawl of trees from the other. After a while we had to head back for rehearsal to start the reason we were there: to sing.

All three days we had rehearsals of some form. The first two days were more traditional, meaning we sang until we were stopped and then we were given notes on what to change. At first, I didn’t know what to expect from the first rehearsal. I originally thought it was going to be somewhat easy considering the amount of practice I had already done, but I was horribly mistaken. The last day we had a final rehearsal which was more or less just a run through of the concert. In the end, we totaled about twelve hours of rehearsal (not including the concert). Granted to say, I was ready to do as little as I possibly could the day following the concert.

Photo by Twitter: @SkuttChoirs
The participants standing at the Embassy Suites

The day of the concert was probably the most scatterbrained. From dealing with hotels to getting to different places on time, we barely had time for lunch. It definitely required us to be a little more vigilant of the clock. We had to make sure we had everything ready because we also had to check out of our rooms and keep track of luggage the following hours.

The conductor, Dr. Kristina MacMullen of Ohio State University, was a joy to work with. She helped us view the pieces we were working on in a different light. I know for sure that I picked up a few things I can use later on.

The final concert made all the hours singing in my room or at Skutt Catholic worth it. The first note is one of the loudest of the concert and every time we sang it, I got the chills. Being able to finally lay all the music to rest was a bittersweet feeling. I was ecstatic to hear everything pieced together with the story being told, but I also knew that it meant the end of this All-State journey.

After all was said and done, we headed back home directly following the concert. Personally, I was exhausted and ready to sleep, and then get ready for the next day when show choir performed for yet another seven hours of singing and dancing.

Sam Klemme - Entertainment Editor

Sam became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. He is a junior this year involved in show choir and spends time playing video games in his basement outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]