• Student Directed One Acts on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 pm.

• Net Neutrality Vote takes place Dec. 14th

• Half of service hours need to be Approved by Dec. 15th.

• All students traveling to Spain on the Spring Break trip - there will be a meeting 12/13 at 3:15 in A150.

UNL Fires Football Coach Mike Riley

The University terminated Riley this week following a disappointing season

Illustration+of+Riley%27s+firing+
Illustration of Riley's firing

Illustration of Riley's firing

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos

Illustration of Riley's firing

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

The Nebraska Cornhuskers season was a letdown to fans and players as they finished the year 4-8, which is the Huskers worst season since 1961. Nebraska had blowout losses to Ohio State, Minnesota, Iowa, and suffered an embarrassing loss to Northern Illinois in week 2. After the Husker’s 56-14 defeat to their rival Hawkeyes, people thought it was only a matter of time until Riley was fired. On Saturday November 25, their thoughts were proven right as it was announced that Nebraska fired Mike Riley.

“I disagree with the decision to fire Riley”, said senior Nathan Fullinfaw. “The losses were embarrassing, but I believe he could have turned it around, he continued.

The firing of Riley cost Nebraska a lot of money. He is now owed $7 million and if he doesn’t get a job in the next two years, he would be owed another $4.8 million. Nebraska still owes former coach Bo Pelini money and he is on the books until the February 2019. Right now, Pelini receives $128,009 per month. Nebraska made a tough decision and decided to eat their money so they can move on from Riley.

Riley’s first season as head coach was average , as they finished 6-7 and won the Fosters Farm Bowl against UCLA. His second season was a bit more successful, as they won their first seven games and was as high as #7 in the AP poll. However, they then four of their last six games, closing the season 9-4. There are a lot of potential coaches to replace Riley, but the one that Huskers fans want badly is UCF’s coach Scott Frost.

Scott Frost will always be remembered fondly by Nebraska fans because he was the starting quarterback for the undefeated 1987 Nebraska team that won the national championship. Currently, he is coaching the 11-0 Central Florida football team and when asked about the Nebraska job, he said he is focusing on his football team.

What makes this situation tricky is that UCF will probably play in one of the New Years Six Bowls in January. With recruiting starting on December 20 for next season, Nebraska fans will know by then if Frost will return to Nebraska. But for now, Husker fans have to show patience and wait for the coaching decision.

“I hope Nebraska hires Scott Frost because he will bring them back to the promised land and gives Nebraska fans hope”, said senior R.J Podraza.

With Nebraska having one of its worst season in recent memory, Huskers fans need hope again. Scott Frost gives them hope, even if it is false hope, that they can be national championship contenders again. Nebraska fans can’t take another season filled with embarrassing losses and blowout defeats. As a shirt created by Huskers fans said, Scott Frost: Make Nebraska Great Again.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]