Giving Thanks with Others

Operation Others’ contributions to our city are many

Max Korensky ‘18 (L) and Michael Figura ‘18 are the student leaders of Operation Others.

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

Skutt Catholic’s Operation Others is known for their charitable work in and around the Omaha area. Comprised of a dynamic group of around 60 students, the group plans social justice events around town. Their schedule changes every year, but their overall goal is to help those less fortunate.

Led by seniors Michael Figura and Max Korensky, the group meets fairly regularly. “We have core member meetings at Prep every other Tuesday,” Figura explained. There are also meetings catering to Skutt Catholic members only, as well. “We also have meetings with all Skutt Operation Others members every two to three weeks at Skutt,” Figura explained.

In the past, Operation Others has participated in turkey drop offs and has gone to different food banks and dropped off canned goods. Now, over Thanksgiving break and in to early December, they plan on collecting different food items and taking it to a local warehouse, where it will be distributed to families in the Omaha area around Christmas time.

Every December, there is a special week called Delivery Week. In the run up to that, Operation Others plans food drives and other events. This year, members participated in a mac and cheese food drive and organized a breakfast at St. Leo’s Church. They also went door to door in their respective neighbourhoods, collecting cans for local food banks.

When Operation Others ends the next semester, members from other schools call it quits for the school year. However, Skutt Catholic members plan additional activities for the “off season”. “We’ve discussed volunteering at Habitat for Humanity for one or two Saturdays next semester,” Figura explained. At meetings, they have also been talking about helping families in need. “We have also been considering raising funds to “adopt a family” or possibly sponsor children who can’t afford schooling in developing countries,” Figura said.

Operation Others has been a force for good in the Skutt Catholic community, and it will continue to serve the Omaha area and beyond. The contributions to our city have been many, and they will continue to be a force for good for years to come.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at [email protected]