“Justice League”: A Step in the Right Direction for DC

The highly anticipated action flick is a fun adventure, despite some flaws

Batman, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg

Photo by We live Entertainment

Photo by We live Entertainment

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

“Justice League” finally arrived to theaters on November 17 and looked to improve people’s negative view of the DC universe. Things didn’t look good for the movie, as director Zack Snyder had to leave it for a time period because of a family tragedy. Then Joss Whedon, who took Snyder’s place for a little bit, decided to reshoot some parts of the movie. Despite it’s issues, DC created an enjoyable movie that is worth its name sake.

“Justice League” features Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, and Superman trying to stop Steppenwolf from taking over the world using mother boxes. After the league’s first battle with him, they realize they need Superman to defeat him. Once the heroes successfully resurrect him, they attempt to take down Steppenwolf again in the final act.

One of the main flaws of “Justice League” was its villain. Steppenwolf was a stereotypical bad guy with no motivation other than to conquer the world. He was boring, lame, and had awful CGI. All the audience got to know about him was from a short monologue by Diana, who said he was a destroyer of worlds and lived to conquer. “Justice League” couldn’t have used a villain like Darkseid in their first movie, but Steppenwolf felt like he didn’t belong in “Justice League”.

Despite some rough patches, there was lot to like in “Justice League”. After people criticized the DC universe for being too dark, director Zach Snyder made the movie’s tone lighter. The Flash and Aquaman were funny and even Batman made some jokes. After Superman was brought back to life, he became the superhero DC fans and comic book fans have wanted. He actually looked like he enjoyed being a superhero.

Superman taking down Steppenwolf with a smile on his face while saving people in the city where Steppenwolf set base at was epic. No one wants a Superman that is dark and brooding, like he was in Batman v Superman. Superman’s portrayal in “Justice League” was a fresh of breath air and what fans wanted.

Another flaw of this movie is Superman’s return. It feels rushed and not even close to how it happened in the comics. In the comics, there were 4 people claiming to be Superman and then the real Clark Kent comes out of hibernation with a mullet (Yeah, 80s comics were weird). The movie version is Superman beating up the league until Lois Lane shows up and he becomes normal again. It was very cliche and different from the comics.

The character that had the best story arc in this movie was Cyborg. It was fascinating watching Cyborg come out of his shell and help save the world with the League once his father was captured by Parademons, Steppenwolf’s army. The interactions between him and Wonder Woman were interesting, as they both had to come out of hiding and face the world even when they weren’t ready.

While “Justice League” was not perfect, it was an entertaining movie and the team interactions were awesome to see on the big screen. The movie will satisfy casual moviegoers and DC fans who have waited a long time to see the Justice League on the big screen.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to ““Justice League”: A Step in the Right Direction for DC”

1. Will Fletcher on March 1st, 2018 9:13 am

Superman’s mustache is the real star

[Reply]

• Daily News

First Week Finishes Strong with Popsicle Day

• “Justice League”: A Step in the Right Direction for DC

9 Pictures Guaranteed to Instigate a Sloth Obsession

Movies Start to Ignore Premiere Times

Senior Places Second at Barista Championship

Quintessence

Quintessence: The Pulse Issue

Timber Creek: Creating Pizza that Pleases

“Avengers: Infinity War” Is Entirely Average

Who is your SCHS Flightline Newspaper Bae?

“Bible of Love” Meshes Genres

Christian Film “I Can Only Imagine” Exceeds Expectations