Playoff Upsets and Pandemonium

Nebraska high school football is in a frenzy

Playoff Upsets and Pandemonium

The SkyHawks tackle the Gretna quarterback.

Photo by Omaha World Herald

Photo by Omaha World Herald

Photo by Omaha World Herald

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Powerhouse teams in sports seek to always be in contention for a championship every single year by obliterating the competition. When that team is on an opponent’s schedule, every loyal fan cringes at the impending thumping. This year in Nebraska high school football many gridiron giants have been slayed. Here’s a look at some of the Class B upsets:

Elkhorn South vs. York

Elkhorn South and Moses Bryant. That is the way that the 204th Street rivals of the SkyHawks have been portrayed for the past four years. With an electric running game and a gigantic line and quarterback, the Storm has dominated opposition for the past couple of years. Elkhorn South won back-to-back championships in 2015 and 2016 and had a 34 game winning streak coming into their loss against Gretna earlier this season. Last Friday, the Storm had its eyes set on Memorial Stadium and a chance at a threepeat. The York Dukes rolled into the game with high hopes for an upset. They shut down Elkhorn South by holding Moses Bryant to an astonishing 62 yards. “I was very surprised that York was able to upset Elkhorn South,” junior Josh Gromowsky said. “I didn’t think that they would lose before making it to the state championship game,” Gromowsky continued. York’s win was revenge after being steamrolled earlier in the season by the Storm. Now, York looks to ride their momentum against the SkyHawks on November 20th.

Skutt Catholic vs. Gretna

The Gretna Dragons had an incredible 2017 season. With an undefeated regular season, the Dragons were overpowering their opponents. Led by an explosive ground game, Gretna seeked perfection in 2017. Skutt Catholic came into the game with only two losses throughout the season, which came at the hands of Elkhorn South and Gretna. The game was dominated by the SkyHawks star, Jake Archer, who took over the game on offense and defense. He was a threat as a fullback with his explosive speed and tremendous strength. On defense, Jake punished many defenders with back-breaking tackles. He also had a pick six in the first quarter, which proved to be the only touchdown the SkyHawks scored the entire game. The SkyHawks look to add another trophy to their collection come next Monday. “I thought it was a really fun atmosphere and I’m glad we were able to pull out a victory,” Gromowsky said of this game.

Whether you saw it coming or not, the Goliaths of Class B headed home early. Elkhorn, Elkhorn South, and Gretna will all be moving up to Class A next year because of the size of their student body. This will ultimately make way for other teams in Class B to step up and fill their massive shoes. Based on these contests, one thing is for sure: it’s impossible to predict sports.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]