SkyHawks in the City: A Weekend of Service

Students set aside weekend to serve community

Skutt Catholic students serve meals as part of SkyHawks in the City.

Photo by PJ Slattery

Photo by PJ Slattery

Photo by PJ Slattery

Zoe Clark, Copy Editor

Nov. 19, 2017 — 23 Skutt Catholic students, representing all four grades, set aside their time this weekend to help improve their community.

They visited and helped at Marquis Place, VSP Club, MOHM’s Place – in Council Bluffs, Sheltering Tree, Heart Ministry Center, Heartland Hope Mission,  and Open Door Mission – Timberlake Outreach Center.

For senior Amelia McConnell, this was her fourth year participating in the event. McConnell said she especially enjoyed helping out South Omaha people sign their kids up for Christmas presents at Heartland Hope Mission.

“I was the only person who spoke Spanish well enough to help out and explain what was going on to the people,” said Amelia McConnell. “Just seeing the looks on their faces when someone was able to bridge the language barrier and the gratitude of the staff at Heartland Hope made my day,” McConnell said.

Junior PJ Slattery participated in his third SkyHawks in the City outing this weekend. He recounted his favorite part being at Open Door Mission. Their mission had been to sort out donated material into more specific boxes.

“I had been personally assigned the kids section, but after about 10 minutes of actually work these two children who were shopping there came up to me and started talking with me,” said PJ Slattery. “Their mom had asked me to watch over them for a bit while she did some other shopping at the store. When it was all said and done, none of the children’s toys were neatly organized but the fun the kids had so much fun playing with me, it never really seemed to matter,” Slattery said.

Coordinator of the event and Skutt Catholic’s Campus Minister Christine French summed up the weekend as follows, “The thing that struck me from this weekend was how the thing that matters is being deeply present to the person in front of you.”

Zoe Clark

Zoe became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year involved in robotics, academic decathlon, and many other electives, and spends what little free time she has reading. You can email her at [email protected]