Students Find Success at Math Day

Sophomores, juniors and seniors compete in annual math competition

Students Find Success at Math Day

The students after winning the PROBE I

The students after winning the PROBE I

Photo by Maurice Anderson

The students after winning the PROBE I

Photo by Maurice Anderson

Photo by Maurice Anderson

The students after winning the PROBE I

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

Nov. 16, 2017 — Over twenty math students ventured to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Thursday to compete in a variety of mathematical challenges with schools across the state.

The day began with a short orientation that provided students with the goals of the day, which were to enjoy math and have fun, and then students processed to the Nebraska Union building to begin the first competition.

The first contest consisted of every student taking the PROBE I test, which is a test of 25 questions that students have 60 minutes to complete. Each correct answer receives four points, an unanswered question is one point and a wrong answer results in no points.

Skutt Catholic won their Class III division for the PROBE I test with an average of 79.3 points, which was only one point higher than the second place Mount Michael Benedictine High School.

Following the PROBE I, teams of three students from each school began the math bowl portion of competition. This consisted of teams going head to head answering 12 questions. The questions were posed one at a time, and each team had a short amount of time to answer the question before the opposing team.

Skutt Catholic students won their division after losing to Mount Michael earlier in the competition. In the championship, Skutt Catholic defeated Seward twice, winning the Class III Math Bowl.

Along with winning PROBE I and the Math Bowl portion, three Skutt Catholic students placed in the top 50 scores on the PROBE I test. These students then took an additional test with higher difficulty.

“I didn’t really know what to expect,” said sophomore Liz Sims. “However, I had a fun mathematical experience. It was really tense at points watching our team on their road to winning the Math Bowl competition, but it was worth it when they won the championship. I’m looking forward to hopefully participating in it again next year,” Sims said.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]