Softball Coach Inducted into Journalism Hall of Fame

Skutt Catholic coach Larry King honored as outstanding journalist

Coach Larry King, second from the right in long black coat

Photo by @SkuttSoftball Twitter

Photo by @SkuttSoftball Twitter

Photo by @SkuttSoftball Twitter

Maddie Mollner, Student Life Editor

Nov. 14, 2017 — Earlier this month, Larry King, along with two other retired Omaha World-Herald journalists, received induction into the Nebraska Journalism Hall of Fame. King, a varsity softball coach at Skutt Catholic, had written for the Omaha World Herald for 40 years before his retirement in 2015.

King has had an interest in journalism since his early childhood. “Growing up my parents subscribed to several newspapers and news magazines,” said King. “News was discussed in our home every day.” Even as he grew older, King had an “overall appreciation of what news organizations do.”

After 40 years of reporting for Omaha’s local newspaper and much experience keeping Omahans up-to-date on community news, King shared what he most valued about his work: “being involved every day in making sure the public had as much information as possible on what government officials were doing to affect the lives of citizens.” This had a profound place in his memories of his career.

Even though King is retired from writing, journalism will forever hold value in his life. His long-term career as a writer has made him appreciate, above all, the First Amendment right to free speech. “The 1st Amendment that guarantees citizens’ rights to scrutinize the government and to speak freely and without government control about government actions is a precious right that most countries do not have,” said King. He concluded, “We must always protect that right.”

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]