Skutt Catholic Defeats Gretna 10-9

SkyHawks advance to state championship game against the York Dukes

The SkyHawks took on the Gretna Dragons on the road Friday night.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Skutt Catholic faced a challenging matchup Friday as they looked to knock off the undefeated Gretna Dragons on the road. Despite the cold weather and the SkyHawk’s offensive struggles, they managed to beat Gretna through their dominant defense.

Both Skutt Catholic and Gretna struggled offensively, as they couldn’t get anything going in their first couple of drives. SkyHawk quarterback Ben Sievers fumbled the ball in the first quarter, but Gretna couldn’t capitalize on Siever’s mistake; they failed to score.

The Dragons would score their only touchdown of the game on junior quarterback Quinn Mason’s 57 yard pass to Noah Burghardt. However, Gretna missed the extra point.

The SkyHawk defense helped the struggling offense, as senior linebacker Jake Archer had a 19 yard pick six with 3:41 left in the first quarter. By the end of the first quarter, Skutt Catholic was winning 7-6.

“Our defense played incredibly and set the tone for us throughout the game”, said head coach Matt Turman.

Gretna reclaimed the lead on Korlan Franke’s 25 yard field goal midway through the second quarter. Late in the second quarter, the Dragons were deep into SkyHawk territory, but Mason throw an interception. That led to a SkyHawk field goal as time expired in the second quarter; Skutt Catholic took a 10-9 lead going into halftime.

Midway through the third quarter, the Dragons faced a 4 and 2 deep in SkyHawk territory. They could have tried the field goal and potentially take the lead, but decided to go for it. Skutt Catholic managed to stop Gretna’s attempt for the first down and maintained Skutt Catholic’s one point lead.

The Gretna defense held SkyHawks to zero second half points, but the Dragons’ offense failed to find a way to score in the second half. If it wasn’t for Gretna’s missed extra point in the first quarter, the game would have been tied, resulting in uncertainty at this point in the game. Friday’s loss is a tough pill to swallow for the otherwise undefeated Dragons, especially after soundly defeating the SkyHawks last month.

But the victory is sweet for the SkyHawks. “It was a huge game for us and I’m happy I made an important play to help us win”, said senior Jake Archer.

Skutt Catholic players and fans have a lot to celebrate after the upset victory at Gretna. But the teams’ job isn’t over; they will seek another state title in their game against the York Dukes on Nov. 20th.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]