First Quarter Student Magazine Released

Quintessence: The Flipside Issue

First Quarter Student Magazine Released

Quintessence Editor-in-Chief, Lily Yates, displays both covers of The Flipside Issue

Photo by Maria Miller

Photo by Maria Miller

Photo by Maria Miller

Maria Miller, Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Nov. 2, 2017 — Skutt Catholic Flightline’s quarterly magazine, Quintessence, released it’s first issue of the year; it is the most complex yet. The quarter’s issue, entitled Flipside, features many creative takes from the staff with a heavy visual element: the magazine inverts half way through the issue. “I expected it to be a bit of a try out issue because we do have seven new people on staff (out of 16 total), but the issues I saw in the box did not reflect that,” said Quintessence Editor-in-Chief senior Lily Yates. “Anyone that picks it up can see the hard work and thought that goes behind it, especially with this theme,” Yates continued.

The Flightline staff distributed the magazine, 1950’s paper boy style, to the Skutt Catholic students and faculty this morning. “Quintessence really exceed what I thought students could put together,” said AP Literature teacher Mrs. Amy Sauser. “The fact that it is printed in color and features all different kinds of writing, texture, and images really blows me away,” Sauser continued.

Students have come to anticipate and look forward to Quintessence. “I love Quintessence; it is something really unique to Skutt that the newspaper staff works really hard that’s additional to their daily articles,” said junior Sam Moylan. “This was an issue unlike ones you have done before; the ideas were inventive and the whole magazine came together really well. I am ecstatic to see what The Flightline comes up with for the upcoming issues,” Moylan continued.

Flipside is just the beginning for the Flightline, “As for the rest of the year, I think the fact that this issue turned out as well as it has shows the potential of the upcoming issues,” said Yates. “I can’t give away too much, but our next issue is going to be very concrete and people focused; you can expect to see some of your friends or maybe even yourself  in the next publication,” Yates concluded.

You can pick up your copy of Quintessence in the Journalism Lab (B119) anytime today or in the upcoming weeks.

Maria Miller - Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in slam poetry at Skutt Catholic and spends time with her beloved mule, Shoelace, outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]