St. Wenceslaus Gets New Youth Minister

Olivier Coutant brings a fresh look to a well-established scene

New youth ministry vision board at St. Wenceslaus.

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

Olivier Coutant hails from Vancouver, Canada and is eager to spread his knowledge of religion and his faith with young members of both the St. Wenceslaus and Skutt Catholic communities. As Youth and Young Adult Minister for St. Wenceslaus, Olivier Coutant will focus mostly on matters pertaining to St. Wenceslaus, but also will split his time between his home parish and Skutt Catholic, where he hopes to connect with students.

Coutant was specifically assigned to Omaha, and there were numerous parishes for him to choose from. Feeling at ease at a possible place of work when searching for a job is a must for most people, so it was no surprise why Coutant says he chose to settle down at St. Wenceslaus. “I chose to work at St. Wenceslaus because it is the job about which I felt the most peace,” said Coutant. “When I was job hunting, I applied to almost 20 jobs. When it came down to it, this job had… great potential to build good community,” Coutant explained.

St. Wenceslaus Parish, where new Youth and Young Adult Minister Olivier Coutant is based.

Coutant stressed he would try to visit Skutt Catholic regularly while balancing his job at St. Wenceslaus. Whether it’s for Theology Thursday or just dropping in on Skutt Catholic’s new Missionary Discipleship class, he hopes to surprise students by being present in different ways. With one Theology Thursday under his belt, in which he talked about the Catholic Church’s views on exorcism and got to know students in various lunch periods, he plans to be back at Skutt Catholic soon.

Choosing St. Wenceslaus turned out to be a fitting decision for Coutant, as many graduates of the kindergarten-through-eighth-grade elementary school move on to attend Skutt Catholic. As a staff member of St. Wenceslaus, Mr. Coutant plans to focus primarily on matters pertaining to parishioners. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be active in the community in other ways, either. “We’re starting weekly youth group meetings in January, and everyone is welcome, not just students from St. Wenceslaus or that have graduated from there,” Coutant said.

Coutant spent last summer in the United States as part of a missionary trip, helping Americans to know Jesus better.

Ensuring students get to Heaven is the goal of Coutant’s time here, but he cannot do it alone. Skutt Catholic Campus Minister Ms. Christine French makes sure Coutant receives the ample amount of help he needs to make students excited about their faith. “I think it’s helpful to have different people who work together to get students to Heaven,” French said. Everyone is different, and French knows that. “We share a common goal, but we don’t get there the same way,” French said of students striving to reach Heaven.

Olivier Coutant is a fresh and lively face to a bubbly atmosphere at St. Wenceslaus. For Skutt Catholic, he will bring an increased vigour to the religious scene, and will surely be seen around the school in the coming weeks. Having students be on fire about their faith is in his job description, and he will be sure to impress as the school year proceeds.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at [email protected]