Slime Flies When You’re Having Fun

Honors Chemistry students make slime for Halloween

Slime Flies When You’re Having Fun

Sophomores Megan Snow(left) and Molly Kramer(right) show off their slime creations.

Photo by Natalie Pearson

Photo by Natalie Pearson

Photo by Natalie Pearson

Natalie Pearson, Staff Reporter

Oct. 31, 2017 — At Skutt Catholic, October 31 marks not only Halloween, but the last day of Hawktober as well. Honors Chemistry students celebrated by making ‘slime’, a long-standing (and fun) tradition at Skutt Catholic.

Students used their chemistry skills to create slime using borax and other materials in a lab.

“It was really fun to play with,” said sophomore Maureen Pieper. “It’s a Skutt Catholic tradition. I remember my brothers made slime when I was little, too.”

Luckily, this activity is not limited to just the Honors students. College Prep Chemistry students also make slime, though it’s closer to Thanksgiving rather than Halloween. Even if you aren’t making slime in school, there are plenty of recipes for it that you can find online.

Science teacher Mrs. Kathy Wawers also commented on putting slime into the curriculum. “It was kind of here before me. I pick Halloween to do it because, well, it’s Halloween. For my Honors Chemistry class I use it to test their lab skills. It’s very fun but it’s also a way to see if they know how to measure liquids and how to be safe. We also do it at Open House to get people excited,” said Wawers.

With Hawktober 2017 coming to an end, sophomore students are left with a fun memento and lasting knowledge and experience.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]