Art Teacher Premieres at Noyes Gallery

Skutt Catholic art teacher shows art in Lincoln gallery

"Chaise Lounge" by Johnna Eck

Photo by Johnna Eck

Photo by Johnna Eck

"Chaise Lounge" by Johnna Eck

Nathan Fletcher, Staff Reporter

At 6:00 p.m. on Nov. 3, the Noyes Art Gallery in Lincoln will display for the first time an artistic piece from Skutt Catholic art teacher Johnna Eck. The piece, entitled Demure, is a portrait of a nude model, shoulder turned toward the viewer, painted in bright orange and blue hues. The work will be on display with the rest of the gallery all throughout the month of November.

The Noyes Art Gallery is run by Julia Noyes in downtown Lincoln. Normally, it is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but evening events take place from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. 125 member artists curate the Focus Gallery, where guest artists’ works are displayed. This is where Eck’s work will be displayed, along with just eight other artists.

This won’t be the only show that Eck is in this year. In fact, a piece of hers was recently featured at the Beamus Center for Contemporary Art. It was auctioned off for the Beamus Benefit Art Auction on the 27. She has had a piece accepted for the Nebraska 2-D Biennial at Gallery 1516, which also opens on November 3rd. Eck, who teaches night classes at Metropolitan Community College, will be entered in their faculty show in January. Her last feature will be again at Noyes Art Gallery in March.

Eck has been entering her artwork in shows for years, but has never been featured in as many galleries as she will be this year. “I started applying myself towards that goal [of entering galleries] within the last few years. Recently it’s become successful for me.” said Eck. She is particularly proud of her acceptance into the Nebraska 2-D Biennial. “That was big; it was a really pretty gallery, so I’m excited about that,” Eck continued. “I feel so lucky to be taught by Mrs. Eck,” junior Josie Polacek said. “She’s achieving so much, and we are fortunate to share in the experience,” Polacek continued.

As Eck continues to work as an artist, she plans on continuing to enter these types of galleries. They are, after all, the best and easiest way to show your art to the world. Her work will soon be open to the public, including any Skutt Catholic students with a taste for the visual arts.

Nathan Fletcher - Staff Reporter

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a junior this year involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]