Fostering a Love of Reading

New book club encourages a passion for literature

A+variety+of+literature+genres+and+pieces+

Fostering a Love of Reading

A variety of literature genres and pieces

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

When some people think of reading, an immediate feeling of disdain ensues. However, others wish they had more time to enjoy this simple pleasure. In order to allow more time for reading, Skutt Catholic has started a book club.

For highly involved students both athletically and academically, it can be difficult to make time for reading. “I feel like I never have the time to sit down and enjoy a book,” said sophomore Liz Sims. “I find reading to be extremely interesting, but the only time I have to read is for a class assignment or for an in-class activity,” Sims said.

I wanted a place for a bunch of people who have something in common to get together and have a place to talk about books and find new friends. ”

— junior Morgan Dvorak

Because students generally lack the time to read simply for enjoyment, junior Morgan Dvorak approached English teacher Mrs. Hoye about sponsoring a book club. “I instantly knew I wanted Mrs. Hoye to sponsor because of her passion for books,” said Dvorak. “I knew she’d get me on the right track to start this club and she’s been super helpful,” Dvorak continued. With Mrs. Hoye leading, the goal of the club is to help promote and encourage students who enjoy reading outside of schoolwork.

Along with a goal of encouraging students to read, the club has a goal of increasing comprehension. “Goals for the book club are to foster a love of reading,” continued Hoye, “and to help with understanding and the depth of the artistic nature of books by having an informal discussion about the events or issues contained in the book,” Hoye said.

The club also strives to bring people together. “There aren’t many places in Omaha that offer book clubs, especially not for teens,” said Dvorak. “I wanted a place for a bunch of people who have something in common to get together and have a place to talk about books and find new friends,” Dvorak said.

With these goals in mind, the book club has started their first book Wonder, which is now a major motion picture. The book follows a young boy – August – with facial defects as he faces the obstacles of entering a public school for the first time.

With books like Wonder, the club hopes to engage and excite students about reading. By doing this, the new book club will allow students to enjoy the simple pleasure of reading in a fun and informal way.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]