Album Review: Foo Fighters’ “Concrete and Gold” Strikes Right Chord

Why the band's 9th studio album is one of their best ever

The+cover+art+for+the+Foo+Fighter%27s+latest+studio+album.++
The cover art for the Foo Fighter's latest studio album.

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Blaine Wikoff, Guest Writer

The Foo Fighters are back and better than ever. Since their hiatus, the Foo Fighters have returned with an explosive new album, much different from their previous albums.

The Foo Fighters’ fans have been anticipating their comeback ever since frontman, Dave Grohl, fell off a stage while touring for their album Sonic Highways, broke his leg, and completed the rest of the tour in a cast sitting on a throne of guitars. Most of the fans are not disappointed in the outcome. “The album was very well put together,” said junior Jack McCormick,  “I love the new sound,” he continued.

Foo Fighters fans also have been wondering how they would be able to top the last studio album, Sonic Highways. The band traveled across the United States going to different musically significant cities, interviewing musicians and recording one song in the city where they were. The process was made into a documentary as well. So the Foo Fighters needed a break, even if it wasn’t very long.

Concrete and Gold definitely surpassed Sonic Highways in many ways fans never thought would be possible. For Concrete and Gold, Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters lead singer and rhythm guitarist, recruited pop-producer Greg Kurstin. This to many seemed like an odd decision, considering that Greg Kurstin had never produced for a rock band before, and the Foo Fighters had never worked with a pop-producer.

However, Dave Grohl wanted to specifically recruit Greg Kurstin, because of his sense of melody and his all-around music knowledge. Most people don’t know Greg Kurstin by name, but he has produced hit songs like “Hello” by Adele, and “Cheap Thrills” by Sia.

One of the most substantial reasons Concrete and Gold outshines Sonic Highways is that it combines so many different genres so that any music lover can appreciate it. Concrete and Gold is still a rock album but it has a hint of almost every other genre, which is enforced with all of different musical guests.

There are more musical guests on Concrete and Gold than any other album; Paul McCartney, the former bassist for the Beatles, plays drums on the track “Sunday Rain,” while pop star and former N-Sync member does background vocals for the track “Make it Right.” The biggest surprise was when Dave Grohl revealed that Shawn Stockman, former Boyz II Men member, sings in the title track “Concrete and Gold.”

The song is a very dark, brooding chant to start, until the chorus explodes into hard guitar riffs matched with Shawn Stockman’s melodic ‘choir.’ For “Concrete and Gold,” Shawn Stockman went into the studio and built a choir with his voice, recording multiple tracks of himself singing high and low notes and combining them to make the masterpiece heard in “Concrete and Gold.”

The Foo Fighters are back and better than ever, with some of their most innovating a musically mature material they have released. So, go check out the album. I can almost promise you’ll thank me later.

Guest Writer

The Skutt Catholic Flightline strives to include new voices to add to the outreach of the program. Anyone interested can request coverage or email us at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Album Review: Foo Fighters’ “Concrete and Gold” Strikes Right Chord”

1. Blaine on October 24th, 2017 2:39 pm

Nice article

2. Victor Wilson on January 25th, 2018 1:32 pm

Neat concept

• Album Review: Foo Fighters’ “Concrete and Gold” Strikes Right Chord

Suncity is a Billet Doux to El Paso

Mini Mansions Releases Diverse EP That Works Every Time

“Twenty One Pilots” are Back With Refreshing New Album “Trench”

Railcar Modern American Kitchen: A Picturesque Eatery Serving High Quality Food

Troye Sivan’s “Bloom” Preaches Rebirth

Tangerine Reef: 1% Music, 99% Nonsense

Family Film “A-X-L” Flops

“Christopher Robin” is a Tear Jerking and Heartwarming Fantasy

Fusion Taste: An Excellent Eatery for Trying Something New

Timber Creek: Creating Pizza that Pleases