Football Team Beats Roncallli Pride in Game Postponed by Rain

SkyHawks claim a 37-14 victory after lightening stopped the clock at 7:50

Megan Sunderland

Jack McGonigal, Guest Writer

It was a rainy night for football at Benson High School last Friday night. The SkyHawks’ week seven opponent, the Roncalli Crimson Pride, were initially scheduled to host this game at their own stadium, but due to the amount of rain the game was pushed up an hour, moved to Benson High School and continued into the next day.

Due to the weather conditions, attendance was scarce, but among the students who did show up, they participated in a pink out. The game kicked off with Roncalli receiving the football, and the SkyHawk defense provided a three-and out on the opening defensive series.

On the first offensive series of the game, a running play designed for Jake Archer ends with nothing but green grass in front of Archer for a 49 yard run to put Skutt Catholic up early. However, the extra point was no good, so the score remained six to nothing.

A few penalties cost the Pride field position, so the Crimson Pride was forced to punt and earned favorable field position. The next series for the two teams ended without a score for either team. Just before the end of the first quarter the SkyHawks tacked on seven more points due to senior Ben Zach’s touchdown run from 26 yards out.

As the game went on, one could tell the ball was wet and slippery,and ball security was be crucial. Senior wide receiver Luke Lewandowski had an opening, but he was stripped of the football. Luckily, junior wide receiver Jacob Christen was there to claim it off the bounce.

That same drive, the SkyHawks took a risk on a fourth and four call in Roncalli territory. They converted, and senior quarterback Ben Sievers found senior tight end Austin Ash for a 37 yard touchdown pass.

The SkyHawks were ahead 20-0 going into the locker room. Skutt Catholic started out with the football at the half. They couldn’t do much before punting. Roncalli started to make some noise on the offensive side for the first time.

The Pride mainly ran the football, and even converted on a fourth and five. The drive would end with a five yard touchdown pass to make it a 20-7 lead. A muffed kickoff from Skutt put the ball on their own three yard line. The Pride ended up gaining another touchdown after that drive, and it was a progressive comeback for the Pride.

Then came the rain, Sievers lead the SkyHawks down the field and ended in a 16 yard touchdown pass to senior Billy Higgins. Coach Turman being the veteran coach he is decided it would be necessary to attempt a 2-point conversion. Turman drew up a successful play, and the SkyHawks extend their lead to 28-14.

With less than eight minutes left in the game, a flash of lightning was seen, and they sent the teams to their locker rooms. The officials got together, and eventually suspended the game until the next afternoon.

“It was hard to adjust because Saturday is more of a recovery day where most of the guys are pretty sore from Friday’s game.” said senior wide receiver JD Daro, “We got up early Saturday and went into Turman’s room to watch film and see what we did wrong on Friday night so we could fix it Saturday. Coach Turman prepared us perfectly as we added 9 more points Saturday and finished the game 37-14.” Daro continued.

The SkyHawks will be looking forward to their 7th consecutive playoffs appearance, and chasing their fourth state championship in School history.

Guest Writer

The Skutt Catholic Flightline strives to include new voices to add to the outreach of the program. Anyone interested can request coverage or email us at [email protected]