SkyHawks Dominate the Rams

Skutt Catholic uses strong offense and defense to win 47-9

Moylan Field before the game

Photo by Skutt Football Twitter

Moylan Field before the game

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

October 14, 2017 — The SkyHawks students were excited for the football game before homecoming and were looking forward to a victory against underdog Ralston. They got their victory as Skutt Catholic blitzed past the Rams through big offense plays and dominant defense to move to 4-2.

Students had plenty to cheer about as the SkyHawks got off to a quick start as they scored a touchdown within the first 49 seconds, through senior running back Ben Zach’s 28 yard run. Ralston would respond as they hit a 24 with 6:55 remaining in the first quarter. That was all the points the Rams could score until the fourth quarter, as the SkyHawk defense dominated throughout the game. Skutt Catholic’s offense also overpowered Ralston as they scored 33 unanswered points before Ralston’s one touchdown.

After Zach’s touchdown run, Skutt Catholic scored their second touchdown as senior quarterback Ben Sievers passed to senior Jake Archer as he carried defenders with him to increase their lead to 10 points. The extra point attempt was blocked and the SkyHawks maintained their 10 point lead at the end of the first quarter.

The SkyHawks would strike again as quarterback Ben Sievers threw a 18 yard touchdown pass to senior Ryan Trout to increase the SkyHawks lead to sixteen. It didn’t take long for Skutt Catholic to score again as Ben Sievers tossed a 97 yard pass to senior Jake Archer, which was his second touchdown of the game and equaled a school record. “It was a remarkable play and one of the most exciting plays I have ever been a part of”, said senior Jake Archer.

Skutt Catholic also scored one of their touchdowns through their special teams unit. Senior JD Daro blocked Ralston’s punt and junior Alex Stumpff recovered it for a touchdown to make the score 33-3 heading into halftime. The SkyHawks would score two more touchdowns in the second half when quarterback Ben Sievers scored from 2 yards out and senior Billy Higgins scored from 6 yards out. The SkyHawks would win 47-3.

It was a great showing for Skutt Catholic as their offense and defense overpowered the Rams to secure another victory. SkyHawks students left the game happy as their was no doubt who was the better team. The SkyHawks aim to continue their dominance at Bennington next Friday night.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]