• The Book Club is starting on Tuesday October 24th in the Student Center from 3:15-3:45.

• Audition sign ups for our District One-Act Play are up on Mr. Wright's window.

• Those interested in jazz band please meet in the band room at 6:45am Oct.24

• Senior photos are due by October 31st!

Consistent Quality Sets Greek Restaurant Apart

The Greek Islands creates dishes nothing short of excellent

The Greek Islands' iconic sign along Center Street.

Tom Hermanek, Managing Editor

The room is filled with gleaming white tablecloths, wood floor and elegant-yet-homey decor. As someone shouts “Opa!” a few tables away, delicious flaming saganaki cheese releases a delicious scent that permeated the air and a flame that brightens the room. It’s delightful for most, but especially so for me, for these sights, smells and sounds and recall the many times I’ve gathered here with family.

I can’t recall my first visit to The Greek Islands Restaurant, located at 38th & Center Streets in Omaha. That’s because, for a few decades, The Greek Islands (or just “The Greeks,” as we call it) has served as a place of reunion in times of celebration and grief alike. Not only, is my family not greek; we’re Bohemian, so one might think we would be drawn to the Bohemian Cafe (which closed last year), but I have no memory of ever visiting there. The fact that my family has chosen to return to The Greek Islands time and time again is a testament to the quality of the food. 

Photo by Tom Hermanek
Chicken riganato served with greek potatoes

Of course, a flagship dish of any greek restaurant is the gyro, The Greek Islands’ is nothing short of phenomenal. Tender, beautifully spiced roasted lamb topped with tomatoes, onions and tzatziki sauce all on a soft pita bread makes for a perfect gyro. Order the gyro platter, and one is delighted by an excellent greek salad with house made dressing, and the best potatoes in Omaha. The greek potatoes, marinated with olive oil, salt, pepper and the perfect amount of lemon juice are beyond compare; they are moist and give a delightfully tangy flavor.

Also delicious is the chicken riganato, or chicken that is baked in a marinade similar to that found in the potatoes. The dish comes with both white and dark meat chicken, but for a small charge, one can opt for all dark meat. This is definitely the way to go, as I have found the white meat chicken to be a bit dry in the past. Like the gyro platter, this dish is served with an unparalleled greek salad and potatoes.

In terms of a restaurant with relaxed yet elegant atmosphere and a kitchen that reliably creates food that is nothing short of excellent–the kind of place you can return to year after year–nothing compares to The Greek Islands.”

Though it’s a less traditional option, The Greek Islands has a tasty greek pizza as well. The pizza is topped with an olive oil and garlic sauce, olives, feta and mozzarella cheeses, all atop a thin pita crust. The pizza can also be topped with roasted lamb or chicken, by request. Though it certainly can’t beat a traditional gyro platter, the greek pizza is a tasty option that might be suitable for those seeking a lighter or even meatless dish.

There are a number of excellent restaurants in Omaha. There’s even a number of really good greek places. But in terms of a restaurant with relaxed yet elegant atmosphere and a kitchen that reliably creates food that is nothing short of excellent–the kind of place you can return to year after year–nothing compares to The Greek Islands.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]