Discovering the Art of Movement

Kaneko exhibit features moving masterpieces

Maddie Mollner

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

When most people think of art galleries, they think of a quiet, somber atmosphere that allows for admiration; however, Kaneko’s new exhibit “Kinetic” shatters this expectation. The sounds of creaking wood and whizzing gears are heard as massive wooden sculptures are set into motion to mesmerize viewers.

Kaneko is an art gallery nestled in downtown Omaha, with the mission to promote all forms of creativity. It has a variety of different programs including educational classes and even yoga, but it primarily showcases an array of different artists.

The current exhibit at Kaneko, “Kinetic”, displays 13 animated wooden sculptures of the artist, John Buck. Buck primarily works in his home in Montana creating sculptures that address modern conflicts and the irony within history. “I like to deal with different subjects that are a part of our time — and our past,” Buck told the Omaha World-Herald. “I don’t know if people will get everything, but if these pieces enter into public discourse, hopefully, people will discuss them.”

It takes about a year for Buck to complete both the artistic elements and the system of gears, cables, and motors of each sculpture. The sculptures are constructed using jelutong, a supple Malaysian wood.

The pieces exhibited in “Kinetic” show intricate details and features. “Each sculpture is comprised of detailed pieces that are set in motion to portray a bigger idea,” said sophomore art student Allison Schlautman. “The exhibit is unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” Schlautman said.

Along with Buck’s sculptures, “Kinetic” contains bronze sculptures, wood carvings a large illuminated garden created by FoldHaus, a collaborative group from San Francisco, and a variety of prints.

“The prints really stood out to me,” said sophomore art student Natalie Barclay. “They’re intricate and well done it’s almost as if they aren’t even prints at all but paintings or drawings. It makes for a really cool effect,” Barclay said.

Following the conclusion of “Kinetic” on Oct. 14, a new exhibit, “light”, will be open to the public on Dec. 5. This exhibit will allow visitors to explore their own creativity while seeing their environment in a new light.

Just as the upcoming “light” exhibit will impact viewers, Kaneko’s “Kinetic” redefines what viewers may consider as art and demonstrates how movement can be gentle and captivating. Even after the closing of “Kinetic”, Kaneko will continue to push the boundaries and be a space for creativity.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]