Friday Night Football Results in Loss to Gretna

Dragons beat the SkyHawks 24-7

The SkyHawks battle their hearts out on the field.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook Staff

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook Staff

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook Staff

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Sept. 22, 2017 — The SkyHawk football team was defeated by the Gretna Dragons Friday. Skutt Catholic had momentum going into the game after routing the Elkhorn Antlers last week by a score of 45-3.

The game, which started at 6pm (an hour early to accommodate for Gretna’s homecoming festivities) kicked off with Gretna receiving the ball and the SkyHawk student section cheering on their team in their ‘western’ outfits, which was the weekly theme. Moments later, the SkyHawk secondary intercepted a pass from the Dragons, but unfortunately could not do anything to capitalize on Gretna’s mistake. The Dragons fumbled the ball often, but the SkyHawks could not score any points of Gretna’s mistakes. The SkyHawks also missed a field goal in the first quarter. Later in the first half, Billy Higgins found his way into the end zone and tied the game 7 to 7 heading into half time.

The rest of the game, the SkyHawks struggled to get their offense going, one factor being the immense heat beating down on the field. The SkyHawks struggled to get anything going in the passing game and missed open receivers. Gretna stopped the running game for the SkyHawks and the defense dominated Skutt Catholic’s offense. The Dragons ended up winning the game 24-7.

After a rocky game this week, the SkyHawks will be looking to bounce back at home versus the Columbus Discoverers on a Friday night.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]