Manawho? What is a Manahawk?

A closer look at the people behind the banners and trophies of Skutt Catholic

Manawho? What is a Manahawk?

Junior Molly Grewe who has been a Manahawk since 2015.

Photo by Clara Pohlman

Photo by Clara Pohlman

Photo by Clara Pohlman

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Skutt Catholic’s athletic department has achieved much success over the past few years on the field and the court. The blood, sweat, and tears of the players and the countless hours of film and play development worked on by the coaches pay dividends to the pride that the SkyHawks have for their teams. Behind all of these successes, there are the Manahawks.

The Manahawks are a group of student girls that assist the team, helping their practices and games run smoother. The volleyball Manahawks are junior Molly Grewe, senior Chloe Behrens, and junior Maggie Thompson. They help set up nets for the team before practice so that the players can just focus on their future opponent and getting better as a team. They also film the games, which the team then watches a few days later to see what they did correctly and what they can improve on for the next game so that they can always see growth. The hype videos that the whole school sees are also put together by the lady

The hype videos that the whole school sees are also put together by the lady Manahawks, who get everyone pumped for their SkyHawks to crush the competition. “Although the stuff we do sounds quite boring, we also find ways to make it fun too. We travel, eat dinners with the team. As a Manahawk, you are truly able to see all the personalities of this team from a whole new perspective,” Grewe said.

These ladies are not brand new to the game either. They have got what it takes to bump, set, and spike whenever they need to. “I played volleyball my freshman year, and after choosing not to continue playing volleyball right before my sophomore year,” said junior Molly Grewe. “I wanted to find an alternative way to still be involved in the program. So, as a solution, I grabbed a friend who was also choosing not to continue that season, and we decided to give Manahawking a shot,” Grewe said.

Besides on the volleyball court, there are a number of people who help out behind the scenes with all the teams to make sure that they are running smoothly. Junior Jordan Ramsey is a key example of this, and she does everything and anything to progress the Skutt Catholic athletic department. “Technically, I’m not actually a Manahawk,” said Ramsey. “I do work study with Eric the trainer, so I help take care of all the teams instead of just one. My day to day responsibilities include filling up coolers and delivering them via gator to football, cross country, and occasionally softball and volleyball in the fall. During the fall part of last year, but mostly this year, I also help out with the football games,” Ramey continued.

Junior Cole Mingo is another person who helps with the football team by filming the game using the very tall end zone camera. “It’s very fun, and I learned a lot about what he does, which is nice because I want to go into the medical field when I’m older. I also got a chance to talk to and befriend people that I usually wouldn’t,” Ramsey continued.

Whether or not you know about these unsung heroes, they are consistently affecting the Skutt Catholic community with a smile and an extra hour after school. The dedication and time that the Manahawks and others put into their roles are made apparent by the success that the athletic teams have had in the last few years. The Manahawks exemplify what it is to be a SkyHawk and the athletic teams wouldn’t function well without them.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]