Starting on the Right Note: Success for SkyHawks at Wildcat Classic

Skutt Catholic marching band takes first place in Class B competition

The Skutt Catholic Marching Band pushes their equipment onto Millard South's field.

Photo by James Pearson

Photo by James Pearson

Photo by James Pearson

Natalie Pearson, Staff Reporter

While football season is in full swing, marching band season is just beginning with the first competition of the year already past. On Sept. 16, 2017, Millard West hosted the Wildcat Classic competition at Millard South; 13 schools competed and for some — including Skutt Catholic — it was the first event of the season. Once the band arrived at Millard South that morning, the excitement was palpable.

Skutt Catholic’s 2017 show is called “Codes” and is a robotic and discordant piece. Performances from other schools included themes such as “Sirens,” “Above the Clouds,” and “What Goes Up,” plus another performance titled “Love’s Immortal Kiss.”

In the end, Skutt Catholic won first place for Class B, while Elkhorn South won first place for Class A and Millard North won Class AA.

The majority of the band members agreed that their performance was deserving of the first place; however, they still have a long way to go. “I think we had a solid performance,” said junior drum major Maria LaSala. “But there is definitely room to improve in our marching technique and musicality,” LaSala continued.

Senior Jared Baumert seemed to agree with LaSala. “I think we did really well for our first competition, but there is lots of room for improvement,” said Baumert. “We need to lock in the tempo a little bit better on the second movement. We may also need to adjust the volume on the mallets and the synth so we can all be heard really well,” Baumert explained.

Photo by James Pearson
Skutt Catholic prepares to go onto the field prior to their performance.

The new band director, Ms. Rosario Nelson, also commented on the Wildcat Classic competition. “I enjoyed seeing what other schools are doing; it gives me ideas for future shows,” Nelson said. “Also the feedback from judges is invaluable! They had eight amazing judges come from around the country to give feedback on the marching band shows in Omaha,” Nelson continued.

While they may not have been the largest or most impressive marching band there, the Skutt Catholic marching band holds a sense of kinship that simply cannot be found anywhere else. “I think of the band as another family. I know that no matter what goes on, we can get through it together,” said Baumert. “I think it does not get as much recognition as it should. The band competes just like every other activity but we don’t get the same recognition the other activities do,” Baumert finished.

The solidarity extends past their fellow SkyHawks to the competitors; there is this friendship between schools, which makes these competitions so special. “The marching band strives to be a welcoming environment,” Nelson said. “We want to be able to reach as many people as possible to share music with the community. The band so far has shown good sportsmanship and support of other school marching programs and we will continue to encourage this,” Nelson explained.

In the end, the Skutt Catholic Marching Band is a family of students and faculty who all share a love of music, something that sets them apart from any other activity. Here’s hoping for their success in all of their endeavors, and be sure to support the Marching SkyHawks at upcoming competitions.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]