Diminishing Fossil Fuels May Change Gas Station Game

How electric cars are beginning to push gas-guzzlers to extinction

Photo by Maria Miller

Photo by Maria Miller

Photo by Maria Miller

Emma Brisbois, Copy Editor

Fossil fuels are a major energy source: they heat our houses, fuel our cars, and provide us with electricity. The only problem is that the human race is exhausting them rapidly and once they’re gone, they’re gone forever.

To combat this, many companies are coming up with ways to produce renewable and clean energy. One of the most recent is the electric car. The car company Tesla has produced many makes and models of said electric car. This car runs on petroleum as well as electricity and makes for a much cleaner and easier source of energy. With this type of car becoming more and more common, many things in society will begin to change.

“We should abandon the use of fossil fuels immediately,” said Professor Jay Leighter, Director of Sustainability Studies at Creighton University. “Preferably, we should not run out of fossil fuels. We should leave them in the ground because we don’t have the capacity to burn them without completely changing the climate of the planet,” Leighter continued. What this means for us is more electric cars, more solar-powered houses, more wind and tidal energy, and more clean sources of energy need to be produced without changing the earth’s climate completely. 

We should abandon the use of fossil fuels immediately”

— Professor Jay Leighter

This also means that most of society’s current gas stations will become almost obsolete, leaving supermarkets and five-star restaurants to have charging stations for our now completely electric cars. “Charging a vehicle takes longer than putting gas in a car,” Leighter said. “All of your fuelings will happen either at home, at work, or even at the store; you wouldn’t have traditional gas stations,” Leighter continued.

Gas stations as we know them today will most likely disappear completely, due to the fact that the use of gas will have to disappear as well. However, this does not mean that fueling areas will die out. Many places that are regularly visited for long periods of time may begin including charging stations, and ‘gas stations’ will evolve from the homes of heavily preserved hotdogs spinning on rollers to swanky, gourmet restaurants that you’d want to take your whole family to. In the way things are moving, most establishments should be able to provide charging stations for the cars that everyone will eventually have to drive.

The world as we know it is definitely a temporary one, considering almost every luxury mankind knows is run by a non-renewable resource. With every change we make, let us just hope that there are still enough gas station hot dogs for all of us once the changes are made in the end.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]