President Trump Threatens to “Totally Destroy” North Korea

Trump delivers his first address to the United Nations

Donald Trump speaks on the nuclear crisis with North Korea

Photo by Maria Miller

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

Sept. 19, 2017 — During his first United Nations address, President Donald Trump confronted North Korea regarding the consequences of their recent missile launches.

Throughout his address, Trump referred to North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un as “Rocket Man” and threatened to “totally destroy North Korea” if the United States needed to defend itself or one of its allies.  

Along with addressing the possibility of attacks against North Korea, Trump expressed his outrage for any country that would aid North Korea through trade or by supplying the country with weapons and financial resources.

He followed this outrage with calling for an international unified force against North Korea and the nuclear threat it poses.

Following his remarks on North Korea, Trump made accusations that Iran is supporting terrorists and that Iran is a dictatorship hidden behind a democracy. Along with these accusations, he declared the Iran deal, an agreement that lifted some of the sanctions on Iran in exchange for discontinuing its nuclear program, an embarrassment to the United States.  

The Trump Administration is supposed to make more definitive decisions regarding the Iran deal by mid-October.  

“I feel like this address was extremely bold,” sophomore Kenzie Scholl said. “President Trump bluntly spoke about very sensitive global issues, which worries me for the future and how the countries that he addressed will react,” Scholl said. 

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]