Skutt Catholic Cross Country Sweeps Blair

XC wins 4 team titles and earns 26 medals

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Sept. 15, 2017 — The Skutt Catholic Cross Country team has historically done well in Blair, and last night was no exception. The team’s dominance included earning perfect scores for JV boys and girls, 26 medals earned by the athletes, and 4 team titles. The boys junior varsity team had eight of the top 15 finishers, including junior Patrick Hoody placing first with a time of 18:45 and sophomore Ian Fuelberth placing second with a time of 18:54.

Senior Ally Pachunka’s time was 20:57, earning her second place in the girls varsity race. Freshman Ryan Zavadil placed first in the boys varsity race with a time of 17:06. Freshman Mary Kate Orr placed first in the girls junior varsity race with a time of 23:18.  It was a dominated showing for the cross country team and showed how good they are.

“We went into the meet with the goal of winning all four divisions and came away with the sweep,” head coach Chris Gannon said. “The coaching staff had a chat last night regarding standout performances and it turned into a long conservation because there were too many to cover,” Gannon said.

The team also ran with purple/blue ribbons on their legs yesterday. This is because the wife of coach Nate Ruffino’s business partner is currently battling thyroid cancer. Her name is Peggy and those ribbons were for her, her family, and coach Ruffino. It helped bring the cross country family together to support one another.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]