Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Stops in Nebraska During Tour

Secretary of Education to be in Omaha during multistate tour

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos speaks at a Senate hearing

Photo by Maddie Mollner (CC)

Photo by Maddie Mollner (CC)

Photo by Maddie Mollner (CC)

Maddie Mollner, Student Life Editor

Sept. 13, 2017 — Wednesday evening, secretary of the Department of Education Betsy DeVos visited Midland University’s Omaha campus for around an hour. DeVos’ short venture to Nebraska is part of her nationwide tour, “Rethink School” [via KETV].

DeVos will head westward to Lincoln tomorrow. Her reasoning for visiting the Lincoln Public Schools district is to examine its Science Focus Program. She will tour the Zoo School in Lincoln on Thursday, as well as speak with students and teachers to get a more in-depth look at the program.

“Our school district looks upon this visit as an exciting opportunity to share information about our Science Focus program – and our fine Lincoln Public Schools public education system – with the U.S. Secretary of Education,” superintendent of Lincoln Public Schools Steve Joel said. “The students at Lincoln Public Schools have a wide variety of options and possibilities for their public education: through a rich array of LPS programs, as well as partnerships with local business and industry, higher education institutions, and private and parochial schools” [KETV].

DeVos plans to visit a total of six states during her tour, in order to highlight extraordinary programs in school districts across the United States. The state of Nebraska is glad to be added to the list of schools that have made, and will continue to make, a difference in American education.

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]