Fall Play Guarantees Lasting Impact

Impressive performances and an important message make up “The Last Night of Ballyhoo”

Fall Play Guarantees Lasting Impact

Three of the main characters, played by junior Clara Pohlman and seniors Cal Strawhecker and Stevie Yagmore

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

In keeping with the tradition of stellar performances at Skutt Catholic, the theatre department has not fallen short of performing shows that pose relevant questions as well as entertaining shows. This year’s fall play, “The Last Night of Ballyhoo,” does just that. With only seven characters total, this play is sure to strike a funny bone and pull at heart strings.

The show follows a Jewish family circa 1939 in Southern Atlanta. Set in the summer before World War II takes place, the show focuses mainly on familial love and prejudices held within the Jewish community. Despite the heavy subject matter, the show is primarily a comedy. Ballyhoo, being the social dance event of the year, is at the center of excitement for the majority of the characters. Feuding cousins, an overprotective uncle, and a finicky mother are just a few of the mayhem of characters and incidents that play out within the show. However, there is much more embedded within the play.

“The show goes so much deeper than simply being a comedy,” senior Cal Strawhecker (character Adolph Freitag) said. “It’s truly a play that will make the audience think about the relevancy of a timeless message,” Strawhecker continued. Not only does it leave audiences laughing, but it also portrays the importance of how treating other people kindly never goes out of style.

“The show is such a heartwarming and endearing piece,” Director and Fine and Performing Arts Teacher Mr. Wright said.  “The family aspect of the show is relatable and the content is very authentic to the time period,” Wright continued.

The theme for the theatre department’s year is ‘love,’ and this show is certainly going to leave audiences feeling appreciative of their own families. The show has two 7:30 p.m. performances, Thursday, Sept. 15, and Saturday, Sept. 17; and one 2:30 p.m. show on Sunday, Sept. 18. The run time is approximately two hours and tickets are sold at the door.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]