Looking Back with Forgiveness Rather than Regret

Skutt Catholic takes an interesting look at Patriot Day

A photo of Skutt Catholic students during 9/11 prayer service.

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Emma Brisbois, Copy Editor

Sept. 11, 2017 — September 11, 2001 was a day that changed the country of the United States as a whole. People are more watchful, airports are more strict, and big cities have harsher law enforcements. Since the attacks, the United States has always been watchful towards anyone who may cause harm to our citizens.

16 years ago, the terrorist group Al-Qaeda hijacked four commercial airliners, proceeding to crash two of them into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon and the last into a field. These attacks killed thousands of people and permanently left a stain on the idea of man’s inherent goodness.

Today at Skutt Catholic, the entire student body lines up in the hallways for a prayer service in memory of those who were attacked on that fateful day. Skutt Catholic students bow their heads in prayer as they join together for a short time. They’re called to reflect on the hateful actions that were demonstrated, thoughts for the souls who passed and the changes that can be made to counteract them.

Students are called to love one another, to patch up friendships and to vow to turn hate to kindness, so that an event such as the 9/11 attacks will never happen again. Though the memories from this day are somber, the changes made do not have to be, as long as there is love and kindness in everyone’s hearts. Skutt Catholic offers a truly unique way of remembering the tragic events of Patriot Day.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]