Do Your PART

Do Your PART

Gabby Giesler, Feature Editor

Think of that one group chat that excludes another – that group chat whose main topics of conversation revolve around gossiping about someone, maybe even a whole group of people. Recall that one tweet dissing another school’s sports team. The tweet that got hundreds of favorites for all the wrong reasons – teasing, harassing, embarrassing, trying to draw out the “bad” in others instead of the good. We all have seen it, many of us have done it. Being old enough to know right from wrong doesn’t outweigh how simple it has become to type out a spiteful tweet or text and click send. It’s far too easy, and it’s just as easy to support.

PART Week (Project, Acceptance, Respect, and Tolerance) is a week at Skutt Catholic dedicated to accepting and respecting each other, even though we are all different. This year, the theme focuses on cyberbullying. I know, it sounds like a lesson we have been taught since we got flip phones in middle school – “don’t cyberbully, treat others as you want to be treated!” Still, the amount of hurtful tweets, texts and actions increase as time passes. “I think this year’s theme relates to Skutt Catholic well because we recently got the iPads, and with these iPads comes along social media applications and iMessage which can be a problem when mistreated,” says sophomore Nikki White. “I definitely see this happen at school and among my peers. It makes me feel unhappy how people can be so inconsiderate of others.”

Junior Ryan Montgomery says, “The trash talking on Twitter after sporting events happens, so this PART week theme is something we can all learn from for sure. Cyberbullies are just cowards hiding behind a screen who don’t have the guts to say what they want to another’s face.”
PART Week includes activities that will be executed in a homeroom period each day of the week. With these activities comes an opportunity to open yourself up and think about the cyberbullying you have experienced, witnessed, or even dealt out. It is important to know that you should not be ashamed or embarrassed to say that you have been a part of cyberbullying in some way, but this week is greater than that.

Sophomore Kelly Augustine says, “I hope that we can start minimizing cyberbullying and harassment within our school throughout this next semester together. It’s upsetting knowing that people don’t see what they’re doing when they say these mean comments; they may think it’s just a joke, but it’s not.” This week is a chance to take a stand against it all and to know that past mistakes are in the past for a reason, and with the help of these activities we can diminish cyberbullying within our school and within our lives.