Robotics Team Travels to China for National Conference

Skutt Catholic team qualifies for tournament in Beijing

Zoe Clark, Copy Editor

Photo by SCHS Robotics
Sign for the World Robotic Conference in China

Football may travel to Crete, and cross country may voyage to Kearney. However, this summer, robotics flew to Beijing, China. The boys qualified for this trip due to their placement at Regionals in March, though it could not have been possible without a new exchange program allowing American teams to travel to China. The following are narratives of the boys who ventured out of their comfort zone.

Senior Ben Zwiener

“We were invited to China through a new exchange program that allows American teams to go to the World Robotic Conference, and, in return, more Chinese teams would be allowed to go to the US Open Robotics Tournament. We visited many of the popular tourist destinations including the Great Wall, Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven. My least favorite part was probably the food because I’ve never been a fan of Chinese food. At the end of the tournament, we did as well as we expected by getting 31st out of 46, and we were still very proud with what we accomplished. China was certainly an experience never to forget.”

Senior Ryan Meyer

“We were offered the trip to China through our placement at the Regionals Robotics Tournament in March. After finding out about the trip, we started designing our new robot and its functions. We wanted to create a robot that was fast at stacking cones and could move mobile goals. Our flight to China took over 12 hours, and, when we arrived, we were both excited and tired. After a good night’s sleep, we toured the ancient parts of the city. My favorite place we went to was the Great Wall because we were allowed to climb it. The people were very friendly and always wanted to take photos with me because of my blonde hair and blue eyes. The culture is unique and wonderful and so are the people. China was no doubt the best experience I’ve had in my life.”

Sophomore Jacob Villone

“We all contributed to the design of the robot, and we all had a part in building it. Ben, Ryan and I all built the robot while Alex programmed it. When we got to China, our main focus was the conference, but, in our free time, we went sightseeing to places like the Great Wall, Summer Palace, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven. My favorite part was experiencing all of the culture, though I missed American food. We didn’t place in the finals, but we did get the invent award for having a good and unique design.”

Clark - Copy Editor

Zoe became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year involved in robotics, academic decathlon, and many other electives, and spends what little free time she has reading. You can email her at zoeclark19[email protected]