The SkyHawk Football Team Could Not Fly Through This Storm

Elkhorn South senior Moses Bryant steamrolls Skutt Catholic

The SkyHawk student section gets fired up for the game.

Photo by Yearbook

Photo by Yearbook

Photo by Yearbook

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Skutt and Elkhorn South, a rivalry that has stood the test of time; the high school equivalent of Ohio State versus Michigan. Two prestigious schools that have battled on the gridiron for glory with many inciting moments within the past few years, including fourth down stops, game-winning touchdowns, and nail-biting state championships. Everyone was ready to see who would win the battle at Moylan Field.

Throughout the day, Skutt Catholic students were hyped for the pending game at 7 o’clock that night. At the beginning of the day, the pep band played the school’s fight song in the hallways to get everyone psyched, and the theme of the night was a blackout. Between periods, music was played in the halls including songs like Here Comes the Sun to try and ward off the Storm, and hype up videos were made as well.

Before the kickoff, people were ready to watch the madness unfold. Both Elkhorn South and Skutt Catholic students were tailgating in the parking lot.

Finally, the time had come for the Storm to face the SkyHawks, who sought revenge after last year’s loss in Memorial Stadium. Skutt forced the Storm’s offense to punt on their first drive. Skutt Catholic received the ball and were poised to put the first points on the board.

However, on that drive, senior fullback Jake Archer lost his handling on the ball and fumbled the ball into the waiting arms of the defensive line to set up Elkhorn South in a great position to score. Senior quarterback Cole Hanafan threw a 20-yard strike to a wide open receiver to give the Storm six points. A few drives later, Elkhorn South took advantage of an interception to go up by 14.

The SkyHawks’ offense was shut down by the Storm in the first half. Closing in on halftime, the man that was feared by so many of the SkyHawk faithful, Moses Bryant, was kept relatively quiet. But like the parting of the Red Sea, Moses found his opening in the defense and burned the Skutt Catholic secondary for a 78-yard touchdown.

Moses Bryant and the Storm’s defense left the home fans and the team scratching their heads. A positive for the SkyHawks was a one-yard rushing touchdown by senior running back JD Daro, which made the fans feel better about not being shutout by their cross-town rivals.

After the massacre was mercifully over, Elkhorn South won 42-7. Moses Bryant dominated the SkyHawks’ defense with 21 carries for 202 yards rushing, all while adding two touchdowns to his stat line. “I think that whether or not Elkhorn South was a better team, they were a more disciplined, aggressive and prepared team,” junior lineman Alex Stumpf said. “I know Skutt did not play its best, and I know that this game is not a reflection of this team or the rest of the season to come,” Stumpf said.

After coming off a pounding of Gross Catholic the previous week, the SkyHawks received a taste of their own medicine. This game will hopefully be closer and more exciting the next time the two teams face off. But the season just began, so there is always room for improvement, especially for their next test this week against the Crete Cardinals on Friday night.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]