InfiniteCampus is Infinitely Better

NetClassroom no longer the go to grade book

InfiniteCampus is Infinitely Better

NetClassroom's home interface.

NetClassroom's home interface.

Photo by Nathan Fletcher

NetClassroom's home interface.

Photo by Nathan Fletcher

Photo by Nathan Fletcher

NetClassroom's home interface.

Nathan Fletcher, Staff Reporter

As those of you who regularly check your grades may have noticed, Skutt Catholic no longer uses NetClassroom to organize and display students’ marks, but switched to the newer, easier to use InfiniteCampus. This change comes after many teachers reported having trouble with grades, which sometimes wouldn’t display for hours after they were posted.

Much of the trouble with NetClassroom stemmed from the fact that not all of the users were actually using NetClassroom. “With the old product it was actually three different products all trying to work simultaneously,” said Vice Principal Mr. Mike Bailey. “So if parents and students wanted to see grades they had to log into NetClassroom, which was one separate product. If teachers wanted to put grades into their online grade book that was something called FA Web, that was a separate product. And if I, on the administrative side, wanted to be able to manage both of those pieces I had to log into a third product, that was called Education Edge, which was not web based… It wasn’t very user-friendly,” Bailey continued. With InfiniteCampus, teachers, students, and administrators can now all use one program and streamline the grade book process.

Unlike NetClassroom, InfiniteCampus offers an app called CampusPortal that allows students to check their grades without logging in to a browser. This app allows students to be notified when their grade drops below a certain percentage, or when an assignment is put into the system. While this is arguably better for a school whose academic program revolves around the use of iPads, not everyone is totally excited. “It’s the exact same thing,” said junior Evan Anderson. “I don’t know why we switched,” Anderson continued.

The student interface isn’t much different than NetClassroom, just click the “grades” tab to see your grades, but there are tools available for teachers that make it much easier to track and analyze student progress.“You can do student reports and see on a project or test if there’s any trends for any particular areas that you’re quizzing or testing on, or they’re working on, to see if there’s something that you need to go back and recover,” said Theology teacher Mr. Bryce Crandall. “It also shows their progress throughout the year. We can make their scores into line graphs or charts and see if they’re improving, if they’ve taken a dip, if there’s any patterns in that so we can intervene at the appropriate time,” Crandall continued. These tools can be used by teachers to determine with ease how much they are getting through to their students.

On the surface, NetClassroom and InfiniteCampus may seem similar, but behind the scenes InfiniteCampus has many advantages. Its program efficiency, teacher tools, and ease of use make it a far superior program.

Nathan Fletcher

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]