Teachers’ Lectures Are More Than They Seem

Every-day school lessons hold advice for daily life

Emma Brisbois, Copy Editor

If I asked a group of 25 people if they thought that they’d be smarter in ten years than they are now, chances are high that most, if not all, would say yes. Yet somehow most of us, at this ripe high school age, tend to brush off the opinions of many of the people older than us. Teachers are here to teach, and we should always be listening.

For example, my mom wants me to clean my room? I’ll get to it. My teacher needs an assignment? I’ll half-heartedly work my way through it an hour or so before it’s due. It seems as though people of my age, including myself, have discarded all respect for people to our senior, especially our teachers.  

I can’t even begin to count the amount of times an art teacher at Millard North has told a story about how he’s learned from his mistakes, either teaching in his high school classroom or when he was in high school himself. He often expresses that it makes teachers upset when kids talk over them or pay them no mind; he reminds me that most teachers don’t say things just to say them.

Often, teachers are trying to teach you something beyond the subject. There is often little bits of life advice that teachers like to slip in because they were students once, too. Sometimes, they’re trying to steer you away from making the same mistakes that they did. Other times, teachers are trying to make a general statement that helped them when they were young. Teachers just want to see you reach your full potential.  

Some teachers may not teach your favorite subject, but you wouldn’t want your peers to zone out in the middle of a conversation with you about something that you find interesting… would you? I know that sometimes teachers seem as though they give outrageous amounts of homework, hard tests, or what not, but I promise you they know so much more than you give them credit for.

At the end of the day, they’re human like any other one of us. Furthermore, they are your superior, whether you like it or not. Teachers aren’t telling you things to hear the sound of their own voice. A teacher is there to teach. They want to help you learn, not spew things at you that are useless. Rather than paying attention to what’s happening on Twitter, maybe actually listen next time. Teachers are pretty interesting, and they just might surprise you.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]