• Snow Day tomorrow 1/11/18

Mayweather Beats McGregor In Ten Rounds

One of the best boxers in history defeats mixed martials arts star

Mayweather punches McGregor in the tenth round.

Photo by The New York Times

Photo by The New York Times

Andrew Mize, Staff Reporter

Social media is a place to express yourself – which in some cases can evidently also lead to setting up a boxing match. Over the course of a year, Conor McGregor took a cocky approach to eventually taunt a boxer into a primetime event that had the whole world watching.

Floyd Mayweather, a renowned boxer, has been terrorizing opponents for the past decade. Mayweather is not much of a brute force on the offensive side of the ring: however, he has lightning quick reflexes and will block almost anything that is thrown at him. He retired two years ago, but was called to revive his skills to face McGregor, mostly for the opportunity for the big bucks.

His opponent, Conor McGregor is a mixed martial artist who fights in the MMA. He is a force to be reckoned with once he steps into the octagon. Within a split second, he can turn a missed punch into a knockout with his feet and fists. Besides making the big bucks, he also talks big. Each day leading up to the fight, he would write an intimidating tweet about how he would destroy Mayweather.

“I’m gonna rip his head off and play football with it!”

– Conor McGregor (via twitter) 

Leading up to the fight, hundreds of millions of dollars were made from buying the fight in pay per view, tickets, and merchandise. Even at $100 for the fight, about 5 million people watched it last Saturday. Sports stations spent hours upon hours covering the upcoming fight, debating how long McGregor would last.

Finally, the night of August 26th came and everyone was glued to their TVs with soft drinks and enough junk food to last throughout the night. After undercard fights, the event the world was waiting for finally came: Mayweather vs McGregor.

McGregor came out swinging, and actually won the first couple of rounds. As the fight went on, they went back and forth, with McGregor throwing many illegal punches along the way. McGregor wasn’t predicted to last long, so as the tenth round came, viewers were very surprised. After McGregor survived nine rounds, Mayweather dominated in the tenth round and ultimately won by TKO. Hours after the fight, Mayweather officially announced his retirement from boxing for the second time.

“I thought the fight was really entertaining. McGregor’s boxing ability was impressive through the first three rounds. After that he got fatigued, dropped his hands and stopped protecting himself. I wanted McGregor to win, but Floyd proved to be the better fighter, and retired as arguably one of the best boxers to ever set foot in the ring,” junior John Bollish said.

This boxing match was a bumpy ride, but it was not all in vain for the two fighters split over a $300 million purse. After all of the trash talk and debate, the “the fight of the century” might just have lived up to the hype.

Andrew Mize - Staff Reporter

Andrew became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a junior involved in cross country and Science Olympiad. Outside of school, he works at Sonic, enjoys running, and Cubs and Royals baseball. You can email him at [email protected]