The Long Awaited Solar Eclipse

Skutt Catholic students got to view this once in a lifetime event

The Long Awaited Solar Eclipse

Students and teachers alike watch the eclipse

Photo by Sam Klemme

Photo by Sam Klemme

Photo by Sam Klemme

Sam Klemme, Entertainment Editor

Photo by Sam Klemme
Student relaxing outside

Aug. 21, 2017 — Today is the day all the news stations and social media have been talking about. The day of the solar eclipse. All of the Skutt Catholic students present looked at the eclipse from the football field.

The eclipse happens every few years, but not very often do we get to see it in its totality from Nebraska. After B lunch, or 6th period, every student that was at Skutt Catholic was dismissed to the football field to view the eclipse. The administration played songs to set the mood with songs like “Walking on Sunshine” and “Sunglasses at Night.” Some of the students took the time to relax and stare at the sky.

Some clouds covered the sun, but with the glasses the light shone through the clouds making it not that difficult to see. The moon covered the sun in Omaha so that the sun  looked like a small thread in the sky.

Some classes went out to Beatrice and saw the eclipse in the best possible circumstance, 100% totality.

Photo by Sam Klemme
Students walking to the football field

Hopefully no one looked at the sun and burned their retinas and came out of this event with their vision in tact.

Sam Klemme

Sam joined the Flightline in January of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in choir, theater and cross country. Outside of school, he sings to himself and sits in his basement. You can email him at [email protected]