Skutt Catholic Stumbles in Opening Game

Softball team suffers major defeat against rival

Sophomore+Elly+Beeson+at+bat+

Skutt Catholic Stumbles in Opening Game

Sophomore Elly Beeson at bat

Sophomore Elly Beeson at bat

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Sophomore Elly Beeson at bat

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Photo by Alaina Anderson

Sophomore Elly Beeson at bat

Alaina Anderson, Op/Ed Editor

Aug. 18, 2017 — Skutt Catholic’s varsity softball team was unable to end their opening day with a victory.

Despite an early lead and Skutt Catholic senior Maddie Clark’s home run, the varsity softball team lost 13-3 to Gretna High School.  

The game began with Gretna sophomore Billie Andrews’ first inning home run allowing Gretna to take the lead. However, the SkyHawks were able to manufacture a run their following at bat, making it a tie game.  

After holding Gretna to a single run, Skutt Catholic took the lead with sophomore Emma Spizzirri’s bunt in the second inning.  

In the following innings, Gretna rallied and produced 12 more runs due to multiple home runs and base hits, leading to their victory in only five innings.  

Despite beginning with a loss, the softball team remains optimistic about their upcoming season. “Varsity will have a great season,” sophomore Emma Spizzirri said. “We have a talented team that works hard, and, because of that constant hard work mentality, I believe that we will make it to the state tournament in October,” Spizzirri said.  

Following varsity’s defeat, Skutt Catholic’s junior varsity team competed against Gretna’s JV team, resulting in an 8-2 victory for the SkyHawks.  

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]